 CAD / 7332
Re: Video Compressions (and a little Apple propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.animation
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:38:40 GMT

Which flavor was that Kool-aid?

I did not find any deep information on Apple's website. The material I
found, a comparison of different codecs, only stated the obvious: Sorensen 3
is good like MPEG but demanding, use DV for DV, Cinepak is good on old
machines (surprised?), Graphics is good for, uh, computer graphics,
Animation is good for, um, animation... typical.

Look for qt_compression_codec.pdf -

Where is a good web site (or book) that truly educates on this subject?
Like this: http://www.vantum.com/pdf/codecs.pdf

As an experiment, I converted a large photographed brick film to various
formats; in all cases the glossy surfaces were lost under any significant
compression. So is there a good strategy for compressing these films?

F.U.T. lugnet.publish.cinema

P.S. don't get me started on iMovie. It is a cute little toy that doesn't
deserve a "version 2" moniker because nobody has re-thought the interface
blunders. Oh wait, I forgot, Apple doesn't employ user interface experts any
longer.