 CAD / 7326
Re: Video Compressions (and a little Apple propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:59:23 GMT

Yeah, I have heard that Sorenson is the greatest thing in the world.  Apple uses
a pro version to compress the movie trailers on their site:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/.

See http://www.sorenson.com/ for info on Sorenson.

If you don't know already, Apple is really big into video.

<Apple propaganda>

1). Apple's FireWire (aka iLink) has won an Emmy because it has revolutionized
the television industry.  See: http://www.apple.com/firewire/.  I know "but USB
2 is faster ...", but FireWire 2 is going to be faster than USB 2... http://
news.com.com/2100-1040-272147.html?legacy=cnet

2). Apple's Final Cut Pro is the cheapest and most powerful full featured video
editor.  It is also blazingly powerful with real time rendering of effects, a
compression scheme for storing hours and hours of dv video on a hard disk, and
more.  http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/ (FireWire and FCP are the reasons there
are so many Apple CPU's in TV shows, that is what they use--the non-beige cases
help too).

3). Apple's iMovie is the easiest, most powerful dv editor in the world (it is
easy to use, then powerful, but it isn't full-featured--but is powerful enough
for many TV studios if you can believe it).  Oh, and it is free.  See: http://
www.apple.com/imovie/

Some of my movies made with a Cannon ZR-30 and iMovie:
http://firebolt.mlmc.utah.edu/MyCat_lg2.mov (16 M)
http://firebolt.mlmc.utah.edu/MyCat_sm.mov (1 M) (but you really need the large
version to see the spider)
http://firebolt.mlmc.utah.edu/MyCubicle.mov (.6 M)
http://firebolt.mlmc.utah.edu/MyFrontRoom.mov (4.4 M)
http://firebolt.mlmc.utah.edu/woodpecker.mov (1.7 M)

4). Apple's QuickTime format is more than just a media player (Windows Media
Player, Real Player).  It is a media wrapper.  That means that in addition to
traditional video, it can display virtual reality images, panoramas, it can have
numerous tracks such as multiple languages or subtitles, it can also have
multiple video tracks, it can be extended with Flash, and it can be programmed
(I have seen a chat room application, a breakout game, and I believe many retail
role-playing games are done all in QuickTime).  The coolest application of QT I
have seen was a combination of a VR movie.  A guy mounted a dv camera with a
fisheye lens on a [what do you call it? a super-skateboard?] and went down a
mountain side road.  So you can watch him zoom down the mountain, but you can
scroll and look at the side of the mountain or behind him too.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/
my QT page: http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jer29950/lego/qtvr/

5). Apple's iDVD is the easiest way for consumers to burn DVD's.  DVD Studio Pro
is the full-featured pro version.
http://www.apple.com/idvd/
http://www.apple.com/dvdstudiopro/

6). Apple's SuperDrive included with the new iMac is the fastest and cheapest
(that I know of) way to get a DVD burning station that just works.  Only for
$1799 (I am saying DVD burning--DVD burners use to cost $3500 a year ago--make
sense now?).
http://www.apple.com/imac/superdrive.html
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/feb/19super.html

Everyone needs to see Pixar's iMac ads:
http://www.apple.com/hardware/ads/newimac.html

6) And if you want to go with the dual 1G PowerMac, $2,999.00 ($3,899.00 if you
want the NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium video card), this is what you get:

"Delivering an amazing 15 gigaflops (15 billion floating point operations per
second), the dual 1-GHz Power Mac G4 runs professional applications like
Adobe Photoshop up to 72 percent faster and encodes DVD Video over 300
percent faster than a 2-GHz Pentium 4-based PC."
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/jan/28pmg4.html
http://www.apple.com/powermac/superdrive.html

If you want more myth breakers, here they are:
http://www.apple.com/g4/myth/ (kinda old)
http://www.apple.com/myths/

And those of you who know David Coursey need to read his article "How living on
a Mac nearly made me change careers"
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2842290,00.html

So you are right, even though Macs can play games (I love playing Colony Wars on
my iBook), they aren't specialized game stations.  They are studios in a box.

</Apple propaganda>

James

In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera writes:
Up until today I was under the impression that the DivX codec was the best
to create high-quality small size files.  Yet when I redid the animations
for the MAC users and used the QUICKTIME format (.mov) with the Sorenson
Video 3 codec I could not tell the difference in quality but the file was
was much much smaller.  Does anyone know why?  Better yet, what codec is the
best for encoding ldraw/pov animations?  I've seen some of you use mpg but
that provides real bad quality so I stay away from it.  Any suggestions?
Has anyone tested all the codes or majority of them for our animations?

hum... sound like another 'tutorial' for tim.. he,he,he...
-AHui