 CAD / 7329
Re: Video Compressions (and a little Apple propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 20:48:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera writes:
Are you sure you don't work for the apple?

Hmm.. james@apple.com.  Nice..  Not anytime soon.  I do my good share of
evangelism though.  In education (where I am at) Mac does really well, but I
guess that means we are under the gun more than other areas.  Remember Bill
Gates' settlement offer to give 1 mil worth of software and training to
education?  Well, it was an attack.  Steve Jobs slammed Gates for it too (he
said "yeah, you give education 1 mil, but give it as cash, and let someone else
decide how they spend it.").  So I am a bit over defensive.  I know.  But in a
PC world, what can I do?

I know that a PC will NEVER EVER
beat a MAC in video/animation proformance but that's not enough to push me
over the edge into appleland.... =)

Why not just dual platform land?

Thanks for the input on the Sorenson codec.  Do you know of a website or
websites that discuss the various codecs?  I'll like to create a table with
all the possible codecs that I have and provide pros/cons for each one and
what they are suited for.  Thanks
-Ahui

Webpages that compare:
http://www.slashcam.de/katalog/Wissen_Codecs.html
http://www.geocities.com/lukesvideo/codeccomparison.html
http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D1021%2526a%253D4058,00.asp
http://www.oceanstreetvideo.com/vidcomp1.html
http://www-library.lbl.gov/teid/tmVideo/howto/VideoCodec.htm
http://www.ppgroup.com/webvideocompare.htm
http://www.macslash.com/AskMacSlash/01/05/03/237258.shtml

Links to info:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~amalaney/_wsn/page2.html

I got all of the above links by looking for "codec", "codec tutorial", "codec
comparison", "video codec comparison", and "video codec comparison divx
sorenson" on www.google.com.

Webpage an associate of mine put up with demos:
http://stream.k12.ut.us/medsol/digvid/samplers.html

All of my learning ("iMovie, Missing Manual") says that Sorenson is the best
codec there is on the Mac.  H.263 is the only other decent codec but that is
only for things like talking heads.  Full DV is best compressed with the
animation codec because it preserves 100% quality, but still compresses (which
makes it better than raw DV).

Also, QuickTime 6 is ready to be delivered, but MPEG-LA is holding it up because
they want royalties for EVERY stream using MPEG-4.  Apple is willing to pay
royalties for every MPEG-4 codec installed on every computer, but not for every
time someone is going to create an MPEG-4 file.

Craig Cadwallader (of Primal Image Entertainment) writes: " I am attending
QuickTimeLive. Regarding QT6 and MPEG-4 licensing, not mentioned in the press
release was Phil Schiller's direct appeal to developers and content providers to
email MPEG-LA to protest their current onerous video licensing terms that now
hold up the release of QuickTime 6. Quoting the release: "Apple agrees with
paying a reasonable royalty for including MPEG-4 codecs in QuickTime, but does
not believe that MPEG-4 can be successful in the marketplace if content owners
must also pay royalties in order to deliver their content using MPEG-4."

Send polite email here: mailto:licensing@mpegla.com

James