 CAD / 669
Re: LDAO Modeler is awesome!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:50:54 GMT

Maybe what I'm calling the Modeler is not really the Modeler.  I didn't find • a
"Modeler" button or tool, so I've assumed you were talking about using the
Editor with  the "show preview" option selected.  If I'm correct, I'm not • sure
what you mean by "limited direct editing."  I can move & rotate primitives,
change coordinates on lines & quads and see instantly how it affects the • part.
I created an entire part (the minifig knife) without ever opening Ledit, • which
is definitely a first for me.

Ah.  That makes a lot more sense.

Try selecting "Update Tool Menu" on the Options menu.  This will update
the Tools menu and the command buttons with the latest tools, one of
which is the Modeler.

Modeler is a lot like the Editor, except it's not a text editor.  To
edit a line directly (instead of using arrow keys or special
keystrokes), you have to press F2.  Then you modify that line, press
Enter, move to the next line, press F2, modify, etc., etc.  Can you see
why I call it limited?

I just now figured this out, and yes, I see why you call it limited.  At the
same time, it would be better than the editor for doing models.  The enhanced
editor is what is great for part creating.  Try making a run at the UFO hull
using it, and see if it speeds things up enough to keep you from going crazy
on that one.  Is there a specific problem you are having with it, or just the
size of the project?

Does the LDAO instructions page include a reminder to update the Tools Menu?
I think I saw that another person was puzzled as to where the modeler was.

I haven't actually made any new parts since releasing LDAO 2.  So maybe
I'm missing out on something.

Well get to work, buddy!  I've been counting on you to do at least your
5/month  :-)

:p

Someone submitted most of the ones I had started looking at, but hadn't
done enough to bother registering on the parts tracker.  So I'm back to
staring at the small UFO hull, which I sometimes wonder if I will ever
finish.

Stop staring and start writing.  It's a daunting part, but so was the RCX.  I
just tried to focus on a little bit at a time, and before I knew it, it
actually started looking pretty good.  Are you trying to model the pattern, or
just the part?

BTW, everybody: if you make a part, register it on the Parts Tracker!
Even if you don't remember until you've sent the part to Terry, register
it anyway.  No one else knows what Terry has until the next voting time.
Which can be over a month later.

Very true.  Since I've been doing almost a part every other day, I've haven't
always kept up on the Parts Tracker.  Though I have a dozen parts sitting in a
bag waiting to be done, I guess I'd be a little embarrased to claim all of
them at once as being "planned" by me.

I wasn't thinking of interpreting LDScript directly, but adding lathe-like
tools to handle mirroring, extruding, etc.

Ahh.  Doing the one may require the other anyway.

Actually, mirroring can now be done quite easily by subfiling a set of • lines,
copying the subfile line and adding one or more "-"s to the transformation
matrix.

True.  That messes with the clockwise-ness of the subfile contents, but
LDraw doesn't care on that.

I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited about clockwise-ness.  It adds too
much trouble to making a part.  If this ever became a major deal, I would hope
a program could be designed to ferrit out non-clockwise areas and fix them.

I think his work is similar to Terry's, using a spline generator with • spheres
to resemble a hose.  But he's interested in my work on this, and since he
programs, I can't imagine it would be too hard to put my formulas into a
program and add a nice user interface.  Where he could really help is an
interface which would allow real-time point-drag adjustments to the shape of
the curve.  He's certainly seems motivated to make it happen.

Even if it's not mouse-based, being able to move a point and see the
results interactively would be a big benefit.

Yup.  But just using the LDAO Editor with LDLite and my spreadsheet makes it
the next best thing.  I keep open the complete hose file in the editor, while
the spreadsheet makes changes to a subfile with just the flexible sections.
Every time I change a point in the spreadsheet and save, I just click in the
LDAO Editor and the new hose is drawn.

I guess the new LDAO has saved me so much time that you can be let off the
hook for parts _this_ month. : )

-John Van