 CAD / 659
Re: LDAO Modeler is awesome!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:25:57 GMT

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:32:29 GMT, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@msn.com> wrote:

I finally got around to using this for creating a part, and wow!  It easily
cut the time it took me 50%.  Many thanks to Steve Bliss for this great tool.

You used the Modeler for creating a part?  Wow.  I figured the limited
direct-editing would make part-authoring sort of difficult.

I haven't actually made any new parts since releasing LDAO 2.  So maybe
I'm missing out on something.

Now I've got to do a part where I could use the lathe function.

Yes, you do.

Steve, any plans to include some of the functionality of LDScript, such as
mirroring and extruding?  (I know, give a compliment then ask for the world.)

Not really.  I'm not sure how I'd interface it.  I guess it'd be a
matter of inserting an interpreter at the point where the polling-file
is updated...

Same thing for the new LDLite 1.5 meta-commands.  Although those don't
need LDAO support--LDLite already knows what to do with them.

I've made a suggestion to Paul Gyugyi that we should define a standard
interface for 'snap-in' programs.  These would be utility programs which
would interpret pieces of non-LDraw code and return the LDraw-compatible
version.  And (possibly) provide UI services for editing their own
stuff.  An LDScript snap-in would be pretty cool...

I just got e-mail from a programmer interested in doing the hose thing, so you
may be spared on that one.

Another potential idea for a snap-in.

I downloaded his stuff a bit ago.  I haven't looked at it too closely,
yet.

Steve