 CAD / 667
Re: LDAO Modeler is awesome!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:46:11 GMT

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:18:31 GMT, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@msn.com> wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote in message <36b0a994.19888233@lugnet.com>...
On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:32:29 GMT, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@msn.com> wrote:

I finally got around to using this for creating a part, and wow!  It easily
cut the time it took me 50%.  Many thanks to Steve Bliss for this great • tool.

You used the Modeler for creating a part?  Wow.  I figured the limited
direct-editing would make part-authoring sort of difficult.

Maybe what I'm calling the Modeler is not really the Modeler.  I didn't find a
"Modeler" button or tool, so I've assumed you were talking about using the
Editor with  the "show preview" option selected.  If I'm correct, I'm not sure
what you mean by "limited direct editing."  I can move & rotate primitives,
change coordinates on lines & quads and see instantly how it affects the part.
I created an entire part (the minifig knife) without ever opening Ledit, which
is definitely a first for me.

Ah.  That makes a lot more sense.

Try selecting "Update Tool Menu" on the Options menu.  This will update
the Tools menu and the command buttons with the latest tools, one of
which is the Modeler.

Modeler is a lot like the Editor, except it's not a text editor.  To
edit a line directly (instead of using arrow keys or special
keystrokes), you have to press F2.  Then you modify that line, press
Enter, move to the next line, press F2, modify, etc., etc.  Can you see
why I call it limited?

I haven't actually made any new parts since releasing LDAO 2.  So maybe
I'm missing out on something.

Well get to work, buddy!  I've been counting on you to do at least your
5/month  :-)

:p

Someone submitted most of the ones I had started looking at, but hadn't
done enough to bother registering on the parts tracker.  So I'm back to
staring at the small UFO hull, which I sometimes wonder if I will ever
finish.

BTW, everybody: if you make a part, register it on the Parts Tracker!
Even if you don't remember until you've sent the part to Terry, register
it anyway.  No one else knows what Terry has until the next voting time.
Which can be over a month later.

I wasn't thinking of interpreting LDScript directly, but adding lathe-like
tools to handle mirroring, extruding, etc.

Ahh.  Doing the one may require the other anyway.

Actually, mirroring can now be done quite easily by subfiling a set of lines,
copying the subfile line and adding one or more "-"s to the transformation
matrix.

True.  That messes with the clockwise-ness of the subfile contents, but
LDraw doesn't care on that.

Same thing for the new LDLite 1.5 meta-commands.  Although those don't
need LDAO support--LDLite already knows what to do with them.

I've made a suggestion to Paul Gyugyi that we should define a standard
interface for 'snap-in' programs.  These would be utility programs which
would interpret pieces of non-LDraw code and return the LDraw-compatible
version.  And (possibly) provide UI services for editing their own
stuff.  An LDScript snap-in would be pretty cool...

I really like the snap-in idea.

Thanks, I hope something comes of it.

I think his work is similar to Terry's, using a spline generator with spheres
to resemble a hose.  But he's interested in my work on this, and since he
programs, I can't imagine it would be too hard to put my formulas into a
program and add a nice user interface.  Where he could really help is an
interface which would allow real-time point-drag adjustments to the shape of
the curve.  He's certainly seems motivated to make it happen.

Even if it's not mouse-based, being able to move a point and see the
results interactively would be a big benefit.

Steve