 CAD / 6219
  Datsville continuation - ideas

Is Datsville dead? I had some ideas for Datsville, if anyone is interested. You could create some city templates consisting of terrain, a connecting railline, and shaded areas of different colors depending on different zoning. You could let out the (...) (23 years ago, 12-Aug-01, to lugnet.cad)

  Datsville continuation - more ideas

I've been thinking about simplification. What if we replaced all non-clear bricks, plates and tiles that have no visible studs and are not seen from below with plain boxes? Yes, I know that it is virtually impossible to make a program that checks (...) (23 years ago, 12-Aug-01, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Datsville continuation - more ideas

Here's a first working version of what I was thinking about: (URL) *.box files have to be in the P, Parts, Models, or LDraw BaseDirectory. The boxes.lst file has to be in the LDraw BaseDirectory. Will it make life easier for the POV-Ray engine? (...) (23 years ago, 13-Aug-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Datsville continuation - more ideas

(...) Doesn't POVray do this inately? After all, at some point POVray has to decide which information it will display, and which information it will not display. Wouldn't it speed up the rendering process even more if all LDraw models were turned (...) (23 years ago, 13-Aug-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Datsville continuation - more ideas

(...) I don't know. That's why I asked. :o) I will try to render a lot of ttore.dat's in a model and compare the time used to the time used to render the same model with box replacements. (...) Yes, but how do we accomplish that still avoiding bad (...) (23 years ago, 13-Aug-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Datsville continuation - more ideas

(...) And the results are: 16 original ttore.dat's @ 800x600: 3 min 56 sec 16 simplifed ldbox.dat's @ 800x600: 1 min 26 sec I think it's worth keep working on! /Tore (23 years ago, 13-Aug-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Datsville continuation - more ideas

(...) If I understand the question correctly, and from my understanding of how a ray- tracer works, Pov-ray must keep all polygon data while it renders since it "traces" all the light rays, even those that you can't see (inside of a brick). It (...) (23 years ago, 14-Aug-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Datsville continuation - more ideas

Hey, no problem. I just browse Lugnet every once in a while to see if any progress on such a utility exists. I notice there has been little mention of such a thing in the newsgroups in the past. It would be a "cool" toy. Thanks, Mike (...) (23 years ago, 15-Aug-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray)