 CAD / 5980
Re: ldglite 0.9.1 (now with better LEdit emulation)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 08:36:16 GMT

Is there any mirror site? The URL is exte-e-e-emely slow...

Don Heyse wrote:

Hmmm, I didn't get much feedback on the 0.9.0 version of ldglite.  No
problem, I found enough to work on myself and the result is ldglite
version 0.9.1.  For this release I tried to make the LEdit emulation
more accurate.  I also attempted to tweak the graphics a bit for
better appearance and speed.  Here is the changelog.

Made arrow keys more compatible with LEdit in alternate views.  Made
the Turn menu more compatible with LEdit.  Added stop-at-current and
draw-to-current in LEdit options menu.  Fixed swap current and next
piece.  Made XOR hilighted parts much more visible by using the
stencil buffer.  This is especially true for head on views where the
XORed lines tended to cancel each other out.  Added -le and -LE
command line options to start up in LEdit emulation mode.  This also
works if the program name has "ledit" in it.  Fixed the documentation
to say CTRL-Insert (not ALT-Insert) enters the LEdit emulation mode
with solid moving pieces.  Pressing the ALT key in combination with
Insert or CTRL-Insert will turn on some more LEdit defaults such as
lines for studs and drawing only up to the current piece.  This can be
done on the command line with -ledit or -LEDIT instead of -le or -LE.

Here's another screenshot:

I was surprised how well this works with MESA in Linux considering how
little I did to tweak it for MESA.  (I spent a considerable amount of
time working around a stencil buffer bug in the Nvidia TNT2 driver for
Windows).  Actually I also did a lot of testing to get the performance
acceptable on my cheesy 50Mhz 486 Windows95 laptop.  I still want to
implement View Frustrum Culling to really tune it up, but that'll have
to be a 0.9.2 feature.  Also planned for 0.9.2 is the parts.lst
lookup.  I still like the printed parts list better, but hey, sometimes
you forget to bring it.

Get it here:

    http://ldglite.sourceforge.net

Once again, any feedback would be appreciated.  You know:  bugs, poorly
emulated features, performance issues, whatever.

Have fun,

Don

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse writes:
LdGLite version 0.9.0 in now available.

It now includes an LEdit emulation mode for those times when you just
can't resist moving some pieces around in a model.  There's no
PARTS.LST lookup yet.  I just use the printable parts catalog to find
the part numbers.  Right now there are two ways to move pieces around.
The Insert key turns on the LEdit emulation where the pieces move in
wireframe XOR mode similar to LEdit.  ALT-Insert turns on LEdit
emulation where the pieces remain solid while moving.  Either way,
pressing Insert again turns off the LEdit emulation.

If anyone actually ends up using this feature, I'd love some feedback.
Because OpenGL has lousy bitblt support without extensions, the speed
is a bit slow.  I did get some decent performance from a TNT board
with GL_KTX_buffer_region support though.  I haven't figured out yet
which MESA extensions could help, or how to load the extensions.

If you're curious I put a screenshot of the LEdit emulation mode in
action on the brickshelf.