 CAD / 3302
3301  |  3303
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: help! trying to pose mini-fig arms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 05:40:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Franklin W. Cain wrote:

I've got LDAO loaded, and I just now
used the Mini-fig Modeller feature
to create a DAT file.  :-)

Now I've got a _different_ problem. . . .  :-/

The DAT file created by LDAO has a whole bunch
of ROTATE and TRANSLATE comments in it,
and when I try to use _LDraw_ to render the mini-fig,
all the parts get squashed together!  :-P
(It renders OK with _LDLite_, though...)

How do I convert the LDAO "DAT" file
into a format acceptable to LDraw?

Open the minifig file in LDAO's Editor (not LEdit nor LDAO's Modeller).  Notice
that the ROTATE and TRANSLATE statements can be nested.  Find a ROTATE or
TRANSLATE which doesn't have any other ROTATE or TRANSLATE nested inside of it.
So you're looking for something like:

   0 TRANSLATE 0 -32 0
      1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 973.DAT
   0 TRANSLATE END

Highlight the line (or lines) inside the TRANSLATE ... TRANSLATE END (or ROTATE
... ROTATE END) commanded.

Once you've got the lines highlighted, fix them by taking the following steps:

For TRANSLATE:

Click Edit | Move Exact (on the keyboard, that's Alt-E E).  Then enter the three
numbers from the TRANSLATE command into the boxes on the dialog.  In the example
above, you'd type 0 -32 0, one in each box.  Then click OK.

After you've done this, delete the TRANSLATE and TRANSLATE END commands
surrounding the lines you just updated.

For ROTATE:
This is trickier.  Here's an example of ROTATE:

   0 ROTATE 180 0 -1 0
      1 14 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3626BP01.DAT
   0 ROTATE END

On the ROTATE command, the first number is the angle being rotated.  The other
three numbers give you the axis of rotation.  Here's the translation:

1 0 0 : rotate positive around X
-1 0 0: rotate negative around X
0 1 0 : rotate positive around Y
0 -1 0: rotate negative around Y
0 0 1 : rotate positive around Z
0 0 -1: rotate negative around Z

So, look at the ROTATE command for the block you've highlighted.  Check the list
above, see which axis is being rotated on.  Press either Alt-X, Alt-Y or Alt-Z,
whichever matches.  If it's a negative rotation, type a minus (-).  Type the
angle from the ROTATE command.  Click OK.

Delete the ROTATE and ROTATE END commands.

Once you've gotten rid of a pair of commands which are inside another pair of
commands:

   0 TRANSLATE 0 -56 0
   0 ROTATE 0 0 -1 0
      1 14 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3626BP01.DAT
   0 ROTATE END
   0 TRANSLATE END

you can repeat this process for the outer command-pair.

HTHADNC,
Steve