 CAD / 3286
Re: Lego capable CAD software for the Mac ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:05:34 GMT

DaveG wrote:
You are aware that with MacPerl you can convert old non-MPD files to QuickDraw3D
objects and view them in SimpleText.I am in the process of adding Multi File
support [original script by Erik Olson (olsone@interport.net)] and fixing some
of the more obvious errors.
Any one else interested or willing to put some time into making Mac versions?

Actually, I'm interested in getting a standard, OO Perl module for LDraw
files.  I've been working on one which offers levels of abstraction for line
(partline, quadline, etc.), part, file, mpdfile, etc.

#Mmmm....
use LDraw qq( :file :algorithms );
LDraw->new()->read("mm.dat")->inline()->removeLineType("0")->write("mm.dat");

The idea is to be able to slurp in an LDraw model (or create one on-the-fly);
modify it with rotations, translations, scale, and other more complex
algorithms; and write it back to a file.  Practical applications would include
two-line scripts for DAT-to-MPD, MPD-to-DAT, inlining, outlining, centering,
DAT-to-VRML (handy for those LDraw CGI scripts), etc.  Right now I'm torn on
which matrix lib I will stick with; I've worked with Math::MatrixReal more,
though PDL is looking more and more favorable.  I might just end up thunking
the whole matrix layer, I dunno...

My biggest problem right now is the **!@# math.  (I was never great with
matrices.)  Multi-part rotations come out weird, models sometimes come out
flat, etc.

Cheers,
- jsproat

"Hello.  My name is Jeremy, and I'm a...a brick chewer."
  (in unison) "Hi, Jeremy."