 CAD / 17819
  Problems with LDView

Hi all! I'm using LPub to generate my building instructions out of Ldraw files. The problem I get with Lpub is that it tries to create a step and after a while it gives me the "LDView stopped" error. I've tried to use LDGLite as the renderer, but (...) (13 years ago, 30-Jul-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) ldglite is is pretty old at this point, but it should be able to redefine colors using the ldconfig.ldr file. However since it is really old it may expect to find that file in the same folder as the model file being rendered instead of in the (...) (13 years ago, 30-Jul-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) Ok, ldglite's not the only thing showing it's age. I should've remembered this sooner, but better late than never. If you *always* want to use the ldconfig.ldr file in ldglite you just need to copy it in the ldraw/models subdirectory. Then (...) (13 years ago, 30-Jul-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) Hi! Thanks for your reply! I have put ldconfig.ldr in the same directory. It is not the complete solution: somehow it show the right color in the parts list, but in the assembly it still shows dark tan exactly the same as tan... Do you happen (...) (13 years ago, 30-Jul-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) Hi! Problem solved! Needed to clear the image cache a couple of times. Thank you very much! Best regards, Miran (13 years ago, 30-Jul-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) Are you able to manually open your model files in LDView and view them? Also, does this LDView error happen with all models you try to use with LPub, or just some specific model? If it's a specific model, would you mind sending me the model so (...) (13 years ago, 30-Jul-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) Hi Travis, I've tried to open it manually with LDView and that works. It happens with all of my models that have around 3000 parts and 3 layers max (with this I mean model-submodel-subsubmodel). I've taken a look at the activity when I try to (...) (13 years ago, 30-Jul-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) It's possible that LDView is running out of memory. Taking a snapshot with a high resolution would take more memory than loading the model in the UI, but the difference shouldn't be huge. 3000 parts is a fair number, but I wouldn't think it (...) (13 years ago, 31-Jul-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) Hi Travis, I'm sorry for the late reply. I have sent a model to your e-mail address. Best regards, Miran Pris (13 years ago, 5-Aug-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) I too am sorry for the late reply, but I hope I can help with this issue. I experienced the same (I presume) problem with LDView "dying" while rendering bigger models. What I found out is that it is LPub who gives up on LDView if it is not (...) (13 years ago, 18-Sep-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) Too bad there isn't a command-line only version of LDView for those people who need it. Mike (13 years ago, 22-Sep-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) I'm pretty sure you can run LDView on the command line. Do you mean a command line only version of LPub? (13 years ago, 23-Sep-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) I *know* that you can run LDView from the command line. That is how LPub uses LDView and ldglite as well. Kevin (13 years ago, 24-Sep-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) Hi Matija, Jaco is increasing the timeout for both ldview and ldglite. Kevin (13 years ago, 24-Sep-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) Yeah, ok, I knew that too but I was hedging just in case I misunderstood what he was talking about. So what's the missing feature? Maybe an option to see the LDView command line running in a logging window somewhere? I don't know if LDView (...) (13 years ago, 24-Sep-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) Jaco has already increased the timeout, so he knows where in the code we timeout. LPub does pop up some dialog, but it could print out the LDView/ldglite output. It is in the tmp directory somewhere I think. Jaco, you up for adding that? Its (...) (13 years ago, 26-Sep-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) AFAIK, a command-line-only version of LDView would return control back to the calling program when done, thus eliminating the need to continually poll for results. Mike (13 years ago, 27-Sep-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) The problem with Windows is that only command line applications have access to stdout. And command line applications automatically create and show their own command window (DOS prompt to many people) when they are run from anywhere but inside (...) (13 years ago, 29-Sep-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) I too have run into this on many occasions and have had to use some pretty ugly workarounds. I've done instructions with not only thousands of parts, but sometimes many more synthesized parts than regular, especially for pneumatic models. LPub (...) (13 years ago, 3-Oct-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) Sure, I'll look into it. I think it would be possible to make an error.log file or something when timeout is exceeded and write it in the file. Jaco (13 years ago, 10-Oct-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) LPub renders with LDView from the command line. Kevin, wouldn't it be possible to eleminate the time-out all together? Jaco (13 years ago, 13-Oct-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Problems with LDView

(...) Alas, I've just learned from Kevin this is not possible. The timeout has been increased for the next release of LPub. Jaco (13 years ago, 14-Oct-11, to lugnet.cad)