 CAD / 17861
Re: Problems with LDView
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 18:01:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
Too bad there isn't a command-line only version of LDView for those
people who need it.

I'm pretty sure you can run LDView on the command line.  Do you mean a
command line only version of LPub?

I *know* that you can run LDView from the command line.  That is how LPub uses
LDView and ldglite as well.

The problem with Windows is that only command line applications have access to
stdout.  And command line applications automatically create and show their own
command window (DOS prompt to many people) when they are run from anywhere but
inside cmd.exe (which has its own command window).  So LDView cannot produce any
output on stdout.

Microsoft's OFFICIAL solution to this problem is to create a wrapper program,
rename the .exe file to .com, and then stick that alongside the original .exe
program (I kid you not).  (The command interpreter finds .com files before .exe
files, so the .com file will get run instead of the .exe, and the fact that it's
really a .exe file that has been renamed to .com is ignored.)

I have done some work on an LDView.com wrapper for LDView that would allow
stdout to work.  It's not in a usable state, though.

--Travis