 CAD / 17768
Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 29 May 2011 18:38:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Eric Albrecht wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Roland Melkert wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Eric Albrecht wrote:

You are right that I can approximate it simply by making all the parts
white (as shown).  However, shaded white is not really white.  Every angle
of white reflecting to the camera is actually a different shade of gray.  I
really want no shading at all.

Have you tried disabling lighting?

Wow do I feel stupid.  No, I hadn't tried that, and it works perfectly.  It's
still not a vector image, but at least it gets me to a good raster image in
one step instead of five.  It is a bit counter-intuitive to me that the way
to get a good wireframe is NOT to enable wireframe mode but rather to make
the parts white and shut off lighting, but at least it works!  (Note that the
LEGO logo will show up on the studs in light gray unless you disable
primitive substitution.)
<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/blakbird/Renders/small/vector/9.jpg>>

I've been experimenting with generating these type of images for quite a while
and so far come up a number of techniques. These are as follows:

1) Convert MLCAD model to DXF file using Rolf Redford's LdrDat2Dxf. Then use
PoseRay to create a mesh2 model. I then use a POV-Ray utility called PovEdge to
create a set of files that POV-Ray then uses to outline the edges of a model.
The results of this technique can be seen here:
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego/images/policeman_large.jpg
and here:
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego/images/r2-d2_large.jpg

2) Use MLCAD to colour all objects white, then load into LDView. I then use the
following settings to make all the object edges black:
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego/links/ldview_settings/
I then use "Save Snapshot" to create a PNG. I then load this into Inkscape and
use the "Trace Bitmap" option to create an SVG file. You can find examples of
this technique here:
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego/images/pirate_large.jpg
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego/images/jet_large.jpg

I hope this helps.

Reuben

Download 3D Lego models and other resources from:
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego