 CAD / 17749
Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2011 23:49:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Roland Melkert wrote:
   I’m not sure I 100% understand your goal(s), but I think what you need is:

All white shading with all black edges. This way the (OpenGL) ‘Z-Buffer’ does all the hard work for you.

Maybe travis could implement it in LDView, (or just make all LDraw parts white in your model).

You are right that I can approximate it simply by making all the parts white (as shown). However, shaded white is not really white. Every angle of white reflecting to the camera is actually a different shade of gray. I really want no shading at all.

I’m looking for something more like you would see in a patent or in technical literature.

   The ‘almost there’ picture you posted is really cool so I also wouldn’t mind a LDView feature doing that on the fly.

But if you want a real fragment free vector representation you need some sort of file format and tool(s) to display it. Maybe you could get that by using a pov-ray export as a starting point, there are more pov-ray converters then LDraw converters :)

Exactly! There are any number of good formats including CGM and WMF, and I already have tools (like Canvas or Illustrator) to display and edit them.

I do plenty of POV-Ray work, but since POV-Ray is all surfaces, there are no edges. In a way it is the opposite of what I need. If there was a such thing as a VIEWER for POV-Ray surfaces, that might do the trick. But there is no such thing that I’m aware of.