 CAD / 17662
  Lego globe...

If you were to create a computer simulation of a globe completely made of Legp with cities on it and everything, how would you overcome the limitation imposed by the fact that you can't tile squares across the surface of the globe? Are there (...) (13 years ago, 28-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego globe...

(...) I guess that depends on whether you're talking about a 3-D LEGO globe or a 2-D LEGO map? I'm not sure I quite follow exactly what you're trying to do. I played around a while ago and got a program that would build an LDraw globe based on a 2-D (...) (13 years ago, 29-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego globe...

(...) I think it was just a silly question, sorry. I meant somewhere in between the 3-D globe and 2-D map... but you can't really apply a square map to a round globe without squishing things. :) -Mike (13 years ago, 30-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego globe...

(...) I like the idea of a Lego globe or world! Having recently been involved in building an OpenStreetMap tileserver I came across the following project that might be of interest: Isometric 3D map of Czech Republic (URL) this page that gives you a (...) (13 years ago, 30-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego globe...

(...) awesome! It would be cool if you could submit a building as part of your LUGNET membership. (...) Way above my skill level unfortunately. -Mike (13 years ago, 30-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego globe...

(...) I've been thinking about this a bit more. I wonder how you would accomplish this using an arbitrary data source and without having your own physical server. All the software I've looked at so far connect to existing GIS databases based on the (...) (13 years ago, 1-Apr-11, to lugnet.cad)