 CAD / 17542
Re: LDConfig.ldr is still too hard to find IMO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 20:32:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In order to straighten out the mess I've caused among my many versions of
LDConfig.ldr, I needed to download the latest official version from LDraw.org.
Even though it is possible to find it, it is still anything but easy!

First I tried Downloads http://www.ldraw.org/Downloads.html - Uhmm, no. And the
Search function gave no match.
So I clicked on "Core Files and Libraries" - Negative.
Back to the Main Page and try "Get Started" http://www.ldraw.org/Article126.html
Clicked on "download database", but went back to "Downloads".
Tried the other link at "Get Started"; "Critical Files and Libraries"
http://www.ldraw.org/Downloads-index-req-viewdownload-cid-1.html - Nope, no
LDConfig there.
Shall I try Reference/Tuorials? Maybe the FAQ? Nah, let's google first...
So I tried to Google on "ldraw.org ldconfig.ldr". The fifth Google match was
http://www.ldraw.org/Article299.html labelled "Standard: LDraw.org Colour
Definition Language Extension", and there it was! The link to
http://www.ldraw.org/library/official/ldconfig.ldr behind the word "here" in
"The current version of ldconfig.ldr can be found here".

I am aware of that I reason very differently from the rest of the LDraw
community. Maybe you all would find your way directly, without taking my
odysseys?

Now I know the path: It's http://www.ldraw.org/library/official/ldconfig.ldr and
I have an shortcut to it's url in my LDraw folder, backed up on my Dropbox, so I
will not have any problems finding it next time. But what about other LDraw
users?

Updates to ldconfig.ldr are distributed with parts updates. As such the latest
version is always in the complete zip
(http://www.ldraw.org/library/updates/complete.zip), in the complete windows
install file, and if it changes, in the incremental update (e.g.
http://www.ldraw.org/library/updates/lcad1001.zip).

Chris