 CAD / 1569
Re: LDraw.org TLG models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 17:29:56 GMT

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:34:07 GMT, "SCOTT R  DENNETT" <dennett@agate.net>
wrote:

On 4/9/99, at 12:03 PM, John VanZwieten wrote:

I've got all the M:tron models, all parts and minifigs included.  Most= • have
subfiles for each section which is "movable."  Should we have a standard
format for the respository?  Ldraw only?  LDLite expanded command set?= •  .MPD?
Multi-file or inlined?

I don't think we should have models with Ldlite commands because that way=
they are not viewable in Ledit. Also in the models I don't think that it=
is necessary to have step files where TLG does, or even at all. I have=
never used MPD, what exactly is it? I make and view(when I'm building an=
actual model) all my models in Ledit and I use LDAO and am always using=
the inline tool. I'll let the others decide on the moveable sections=
problem. I think though that if we are using the zip format fo downloading=
than that would be OK.

You should use either MPD or LDLite meta-commands.  Neither of these is
directly viewable in LDraw, but either will support rotatable parts in a
single file.  MPD is probably more "LDraw-compatible", because you can use
MPDSplitter to parse an MPD file back into the separate DAT files.

Don't use zip format for downloading.  Download directly as DAT.  That way,
if the server supports application/x-ldraw, people can click into viewing
the model directly from their browser.  Or you could offer files in both
DAT/MPD and ZIP formats.

Steve