 CAD / 14458
Re: Dancing Mech Modeling/animatino LDraw/POV-Ray Video Tutorial Series
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:08:40 GMT

The videos are from 40 to 60 minutes long and can be as big as 300
MB and are
compressed with H264, which requires QuickTime 7 to watch and is
pretty
processor intensive (older machines may not be able to play
them).  I realize
this is going to limit who can watch it.  I can't do anything
about your
computer, but when I'm done with all the videos, I have nothing
against burning
them all to CD or DVD and mailing them out if people want them.

Have you considered converting them to FLV and using a flash based
player like Flowplayer (http://flowplayer.sourceforge.net/) to deliver
them?  Just a suggestion as almost 50% more internet users have flash
installed than quicktime

I downloaded Flowplayer and it looks really cool, especially the long
play version.  Unfortunately, I wont be able to get switch for this
project mainly because I don't have the time to switch and finish
this on the schedule I have.  And I've already learned (to a degree)
the compression tools I'm using.  I've never used ffmpeg and am sure
it isn't that hard, but I've got tailor made compression files for
this type of video and I believe H264 is a really good codec.  The
original source files average 1.5 Gig.  I have no idea how flash
video does, but getting them as low as 300 MB and still having the
text readable is pretty good in my book.

And actually I should correct myself.  I believe VLC will play the
movies and VLC is available on Linux and Windows.

And I'm really glad to know about Flowplayer and will look into it
because it is cool and have been interested in flash players (I
recently figured out how to download YouTube vids and need players...).

James