 CAD / 14448
Re: Dancing Mech Modeling/animatino LDraw/POV-Ray Video Tutorial Series
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 05:39:41 GMT

In lugnet.announce, James Reynolds wrote:

    * "Digitize" a model with Bricksmith (LDraw) - Left Leg, Right Leg, and Torso

Hi, me again! Just started watching the first Bricksmith video and I noticed you
pointed out something that's always bugged me - how the part browser matches
spaces literally. I guess the LDraw part descriptions all reserve two characters
for each dimension, so there's an extra space for single digit dimensions. The
good news is that I've written a wee addition to the Bricksmith code that
addresses this, so if I type "Brick 2 x 4" it will now find the part whose
description is "Brick  2 x  4". Of course I will be sharing these and other
minor tweaks with Allen so that others can benefit too. (I'm learning Cocoa
programming as I go, so the pace and scope of my contributions will be modest.)

Another cool thing that's already in Bricksmith is that you can paste LDraw text
directly into it without using an external editor. Likewise, if you copy a model
or some parts from Bricksmith, it'll paste as text into other applications. You
may mention this later on but I mention it now after seeing the crosshair bit.

Anyway, good stuff! I hope it encourages more people to start LDrawing, and to
follow "best practices" while they're at it.

Jim