 CAD / 14446
Re: Dancing Mech Modeling/animatino LDraw/POV-Ray Video Tutorial Series
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:53:12 GMT

In lugnet.announce, James Reynolds wrote:

I'd happy to announce a new tutorial: Dancing Mech Modeling/animatino
LDraw/POV-Ray Video Tutorial Series

http://www.magnusviri.com/lego/articles/dancing_mech.html

James, this looks like it's going to be a great series. I've downloaded the
first video and look forward to watching it and the others. It appears that you
have put a lot of time into this project and I anticipate that it will
appreciated as a great resource.

Anyway, as a fellow Bricksmith user I am eager to pick up any new techniques you
present. In particular I'm curious about the keyframing method you mention. Once
I had the thought that if you could embed multiple locations and rotation
matrices for an LDraw part or submodel in an associated comment, it would almost
be possible to encode an animation directly in LDraw format. With minimal
changes, LDraw editors might even be able to "play" the animation just by
stepping though the different position and orientation values. That was just a
daydream, though, so I haven't a clue how practical it would have been from a
animator's perspective. Hence my curiosity about the technique you do use!

So, thank you for effort, and I look forward to discussing the series!

Jim