 CAD / 14455
Re: Dancing Mech Modeling/animatino LDraw/POV-Ray Video Tutorial Series
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:22:58 GMT

I'd happy to announce a new tutorial: Dancing Mech Modeling/
animatino
LDraw/POV-Ray Video Tutorial Series

It is strangely suspenseful watching someone search for an unknown
part! I'm
sure you've found it by now, but the part you were looking for in
the third
video is a "wedge."

Yeah, I eventually found it.  O:)

So for your benefit or others', don't forget that in many cases you
can actually
find the part number printed on the bottom of the brick:

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/anoved/Examples/example-
partnum.jpg 4855
wedge>>

In this case the part number is |4855|. So if you don't know the
canonical name
for a part, you can just type that number into the Bricksmith
search field (it
works with part numbers as well as descriptions).

Duh!  I can't believe I totally forgot that!

Another thing that came to mind is that if you want to rotate a
bunch of parts
around a point other than the selection center, you can use the
Edit->Rotate
panel.

Pressing |x|, |y|, or |z| will rotate the selection incrementally
around the
respective axis (hold down shift to rotate in the opposite
direction). These
controls also respect the grid size setting: the rotation
increments are 15, 45,
and 90 degrees for the small, medium, and large scales. Obviously
this won't
help much for precision positioning, but it can be handy to quickly
change
something's general orientation.

It's not always intuitive but sometimes this is useful, too:
holding down option
while moving parts with the arrow keys moves them along the axis
perpendicular
to the view.

Cool, great comments!  I hope you don't mind if I put this all in my
addendum sections?  I'll have to try them out too.

James