 CAD / 14456
Re: Dancing Mech Modeling/animatino LDraw/POV-Ray Video Tutorial Series
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:15:53 GMT

Hi, me again! Just started watching the first Bricksmith video and
I noticed you
pointed out something that's always bugged me - how the part
browser matches
spaces literally. I guess the LDraw part descriptions all reserve
two characters
for each dimension, so there's an extra space for single digit
dimensions. The
good news is that I've written a wee addition to the Bricksmith
code that
addresses this, so if I type "Brick 2 x 4" it will now find the
part whose
description is "Brick  2 x  4". Of course I will be sharing these
and other
minor tweaks with Allen so that others can benefit too. (I'm
learning Cocoa
programming as I go, so the pace and scope of my contributions will
be modest.)

Wow, cool!  I believe I sent that request to Allen too.  I know a
little Cocoa but am bad with large projects, so I haven't attempted
to actually make any of the feature requests I've sent him.

Another cool thing that's already in Bricksmith is that you can
paste LDraw text
directly into it without using an external editor. Likewise, if you
copy a model
or some parts from Bricksmith, it'll paste as text into other
applications. You
may mention this later on but I mention it now after seeing the
crosshair bit.

Great comment.  Actually, I was hoping to put information like this
in the "Addendum" sections.  I'm flying by the seat of my pants,
completely unscripted and unrehearsed, so I'm sure I'll say something
wrong as well.

Anyway, good stuff! I hope it encourages more people to start
LDrawing, and to
follow "best practices" while they're at it.

Heck yeah!  Then it will be much easier to share models.  I've had
too many show-stopper problems trying to use other people's models.

James