 CAD / 14116
RE: tool for maintaining new official parts header
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:16:16 GMT

Mike,

Looking good.

I shall now use it as I update existing parts, and I'll let you know how I
get on.

Many thanks for writing this.

I suppose I now have no excuse for getting the header lines wrong on my
submissions!

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of
mikeheide
Sent: 28 September 2006 22:53
To: lugnet.cad@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: tool for maintaining new official parts header

I have uploaded a new version of DATHeader for your download at
www.michael-heidemann.de

William Howard schrieb:
5) I have to investigate this behaviour.
Maybe you send me org. file so I can test it.
Try the new 2904.dat for an example • Now this file will be parsed ok.

6) Can there be more than one cmdline in a file?
The header specification doesn't explicity say only one !CMDLINE in the
file, but it is used for "LDraw run-time command(s)" so the implication is
if there is more than one LDraw command they would all appear on the same
!CMDLINE line and not on seperate ones.  So I think it would be reasonable
to concatenate subsequent !CMDLINE lines found onto the end of the first.
(That said, there are no current files with 2 or more CMDLINE lines)

I keep the lines as they are, because I do not have experience with the
CMDLINE feature.

7) I have to load the full file to write it back. As I am parsing line
by line, I maybe have to inform the user that the file is still loading.
True. But once you have encountered the first non-header line, you could
just read the rest of the file as raw data and not parse it
I sounds easy if you write, but to I have to read the complete file from
disc and for this VB is not very fast. If I have found the first line
with a number in front then I only read.

William

If you hit now a letter in the text fields, the content for the new
header is immediately updated.

I hope this version is now what you are expected.

The main problem for this is that there are many, many different usage
for some items and it is nearly impossible to manage all.
Mainly I wrote this program to complete the entries in a file that are
written by for example with MLCad. All extensions for the new header
should be then realized by this program. I know that I have to add
visible text fields to maintain the help, comments and cmdline entries.
But before I do that I want to have some response for the parsing.

cu
MikeHeide