 CAD / 13869
  Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

Hello, I have been working on using Blender to animate Ldraw models. Using Yann Vernier's import scripts and suggestions, and with additional suggestions from Carsten Mueller, I have been able to import models, but I am seeing a few strange things (...) (18 years ago, 2-Jul-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

do a search for Greybeards video tutorials. they're free and they helped me a ton in animating my robotic creations... (...) (18 years ago, 2-Jul-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

(...) Can you give a link to the python scripts used for importing DAT files into Blender? Currently I am using a program that converts DAT into other formats like OBJ or 3DS, But it would be nicer to import the DAT into Blender directly. (18 years ago, 2-Jul-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

(...) Unfortunately Yann's scripts aren't available at the web site where I got them. I'm pretty sure that this web site: (URL) is his, but it doesn't say anything about Ldraw. You could try the email address listed there. There is a Blender Ldraw (...) (18 years ago, 3-Jul-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

(...) There is a link from the first page you gave us that goes here : (URL) is a blendldraw.zip file which looks like it's got import and export scripts in python. I didn't actually try them, but I'm guessing they are the real deal : ) (18 years ago, 7-Jul-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

W00T another Blenderhead! :) I've tried to make an animation out of one of Tim Gould's mechs, with minimal sucess. However, it seems easier to seperate the object to be animated into the various parts that are going to move, and parent those to the (...) (18 years ago, 8-Jul-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

Hi Brian, i have modified Yanns import script to match the blender coordinate system and scaled the model down by ten or so. After correcting the face errors esp. in the legs and head meshes i joined the whole mifi model into one mesh (select all (...) (18 years ago, 23-Jul-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

Hi Blenderheads, i've started a little tutorial describing how i animate my minifigs. Beside this, i have uploaded a little animation of my pneumatic grabber to <link (URL) Carsten (18 years ago, 23-Jul-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

I have added the first draft of the minifig animation tutorial at (URL) Carsten (18 years ago, 25-Jul-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

(...) I'm not quite sure why you don't just parent the objects (legs, arms etc) to the bones, avoiding the deformation groups entirely? Also, sorry about my extended absence. I haven't worked on these scripts or blender in a very long time, and (...) (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

(...) Never mind, your web page explained it (reducing object count). The import script has a function to do that, btw, called "flattening" because it reminded me of the Gimp function to join layers. It will normally only leave objects for the file (...) (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

(...) I have done that for the grabber arm animation but for minifigs i'll stick to vertex groups. (...) You are right, but this method is not very handy inn this case. For my little animated movie i have started a character library in blender, (...) (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

Hi all, i have finished the first two parts of my Minifig animation tutorial for blender. The (URL) Part> covers the import and preparation of the minifigs mesh while the (URL) Part> covers the creation of the armature and the alignment of the (...) (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Using Blender to animate Ldraw models

(...) Sorry, I didn't find anything to access that function. It might actually be neat to do at rendering stage, and a somewhat similar effect can be reached using subsurf and creases.. not quite right, though. (18 years ago, 15-Aug-06, to lugnet.cad)