 CAD / 13573
Re: Lego renders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:59:05 GMT

John Miller wrote:

[about problems with the 'default' Lego rendering software]

Sorry to hear that. There's a full world of time-wasting waiting for you :-)

Maybe you should start 'in the other end', that's how I began rendering.
Install the standard POVRay and play with that (no Lego, just plain POVRay)
until you feel comfortable with cameras, lighting, skies etc. I expect you
will have no big problems with this if you're already a Bryce user.

Then use L3P just to convert LDRAW models to POV-scripts, use your POVRay
knowledge and edit the script directly, don't go through a lot of extra
software hiding the details. It takes a little while to get used to the
upside-down, left-oriented LDRAW coordinate system, but that's just a minor
hurdle (it's the 'up' and 'left' of the camera definition that makes it).

Now reading some of the posts I am wondering if I or anyone else
would stand a chance getting started with rendering.

Of course! But it takes some time.

I think you have to be quite fluent in the final rendering tool to be able
to create the exact effect you want. The idea behind the include files and
the various tips (and different methods) is that someone has found a
'setting' that works reasonably well (with some scenes). Others use this,
tweak that, change something and publish their findings. Just as Tim said,
there isn't a single setting that works for everything.

1. Why does everyone strive for Lego renders that look the same?  It
is pretty cool to photorealistic results whether it be by using HDRI
and/or various radiosity techniques, but where is the individual styles.

Oh, they're out there, you just have to find them. Of course, if you want
'really photorealistic' there can't be much variation in the result, can it?
Actually, it can. Just as with photography you can vary the lighting,
background, camera lens, angle, focal blur etc. etc. You can take a photo of
the complete model/scene, or just a small part.

I was wondering can this be said for Lego rendering.  It seems that you
build the model and then drop code to generate the model into a predefined
script and hit the 'Run' button and wait for the render to finish?

Which naturally will produce (almost) the same visual style from everybody,
yes. I'm not a fan of the default camera L3P generates (too close, almost
fisheye!), so I *always* play with the camera directly in POVRay. I only use
L3P to produce a POV-able model definition. The same with lights,
background, sky etc.

where is the creativity with the renders?

Everywhere :-)

In closing I will probably get flamed for remarks.

No reason for that. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and everyone has
their own experience as a reference frame. That's natural.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Some examples of my renderings:

A Lego play table (manually adjusted radiosity settings for a 'cloudy day
daylight' effect). Don't let the number of the picture fool you, there were
more than 100 renderings before that one! If you go up a folder, you can see
another version without radiosity ('electric light') and the original
picture in the Idea Book I looked at when building the models and creating
the scene.

Christmas greetings 1998 (scroll down a bit for the renderings). Every
candle in that christmas tree is a POVRay light! I sure had to lower the
intensity of them to get that picture...
http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/merry.htm

Sinking ships. These were made when I had just started to learn POVRay +
LDRAW (Well, one or two years, amybe). I didn't build the Titanic model
myself.

A small experiment with landscapes generated by Terragen. Try to spot the
Lego model :-)

My first radiosity + focal blur render, a helicopter.