 CAD / 13557
Re: LDRAW Package format?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 16:33:46 GMT

--- Sven Moritz Hein <sm.heinonline@freenet.de> wrote:

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:

I forgot to mention that the above programs will of course only • work if he
creates a directory somewhere that contains P and PARTS • sub-directories, and
then sets that as his LDraw directory in MLCad and/or LDGLite.

--Travis

Exactly this is my problem.
It is hard to explain all this to someone who has never heard of
LDRAW.
What I imagine is something like a (*.zip?)package containing the
model file,
the parts and the viewer. You just have to send this package per
e-mail, the
recipient opens it and can have a look at the instructions. Without
any further
problems.

Is there a LDRAW viwer that doesn't need any installation (like early
LeoCAD)?

Leg Godt
-Sven

And I never tried LPub without POV because the newer versions of LPub
don't run
on my PC. :-(

Sven,

What might be better than sending a viewer app each time awould be send
a person an LDR/MPD file and a link to a server running a viewer,
perhaps an pared-down version of the java app mentioned in this post:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=12708. That would definitely save a lot
of headache for the sender and recipient; the sender wouldn't have to
include each of the part files (potentially forgetting a part) and the
recipient wouldn't have to receive so much information (eg, the app
plus model file w/ parts embedded inside). Plus if it were java based,
it would be platform independent and if it were hosted on the LDraw
web-site, it could/would always have the most recent parts (ideally).

Just tossing out some ideas.

--Jack
AFOL, St. Louis

Just $16.99/mo. or less.