 CAD / 13542
  Lego renders

Its not fair, Lego's renders are better than ours :( (URL) huge) (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego renders

(...) In our defense, LEGO has all the parts already defined in a 3D format and the high doller rendering suites to use them in. -Orion (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego renders

(...) True, and notice how the data cables don't look nearly as nice as the rest of the rendering. They also messed up the antialiasing around the edges pretty badly. They obviously pasted the rendering over the background, and they didn't do a very (...) (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego renders

(...) And besides, their hoses are crappy. We can do much better hose ;) Tim (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego renders

Renderings like LEGO are within our capability. Have you seen the renders by Koyan here: (URL) are a few others that are also creating very nice renders. The secret seems to be figuring out the specific settings used to create very nice renderings (...) (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Lego renders

(...) First, I would like to agree that there are quite a few nice renders out on Brickshelf and the various personal sites. Before I begin I do not want this to come across as criticism, but I have a few questions/comments to make about some of the (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Lego renders

Hi John, I'm sorry you've had so much trouble with ray tracing. I've tried to answer some points below. (...) The thing about rendering is that it is a combination of art and science. There are so many parameters to deal with and what looks good in (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Lego renders

John, that is my goal with asking a lot of questions about rendering and trying stuff myself. I like you have found it hard but I am hoping that once I learn how to create a nice render I can share the methods. Hopefully I can present it in such a (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Lego renders

In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote: snip (...) Hi Tim, That statement is just too true!! I myself feel still as a beginner (first rendering maybe 20 month ago). And I got some really helpful tips from Jeroen (digitalbricks.nl), but first I had to go (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Lego renders

(...) This is an interesting statement.. I find a lot of my beginning 3D students do not have a good idea of what their scene is supposed to look like. A lot of their renders have a "sameness" as well, as they have no real idea of composition, (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Lego renders

(...) When I do my renders I try to imagine what the source for the light would be eg. desk lamp, overhead light, window and make my lights accordingly. It might be fun to try to capture that in your class. Even if you just used two lights and (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Lego renders

Both helpful and maddening, I've been trying for a year now.. What is your highest recommended tool? I've been working with Blender... (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Lego renders

(...) Hi Darrell, This book is a great resource to put 3d computer artists in the right frame of mind to go from model to rendered scene. It is aimed at users of high-end packages such as Maya, but the meat is in the nicely explained theory. (...) (18 years ago, 10-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Lego renders

(...) Sorry to hear that. There's a full world of time-wasting waiting for you :-) Maybe you should start 'in the other end', that's how I began rendering. Install the standard POVRay and play with that (no Lego, just plain POVRay) until you feel (...) (18 years ago, 10-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray)