 CAD / 12339
Re: Problem with MLCAD arrows in other programs - and how to solve it
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:04:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Sven Moritz Hein wrote:
Previous to the arrow generation version of MLCad, GHOST only applied to the
line in which it is specified.  It had no impact on any other lines.

Now the definition of GHOST has changed.  GHOST on the MLCAD ARROW line
*implies* ghosting on the lines between the MLCAD SKIP_BEGIN, and the MLCAD
SKIP_END.

Given that the other programs were written/updated before this MLCAD change, it
makes sense that they do not do what you want.  Changing the definition of GHOST
requires a change in all the other programs that used to support GHOST in its
original form.  It is kind of hard to fault us, when it is MLCad that changed
the definition. It is safe to assume that now that we know about the change,
we'll update our software. I'll update LPub.

I agree that other programs can't be expected to support something they aren't
aware of, but I disagree that they should have to support it in the first place.
I believe that GHOST should be implemented in MLCad in a way that is transparent
to outside rendering programs.  I for one don't plan to EVER add support for
MLCad's GHOST, SKIP_BEGIN, or SKIP_END commands to LDView, and I feel strongly
that I shouldn't have to.

If I felt it was important to allow people to view ghosted items, then things
would be different, and I would agree that LDView would need to know about the
GHOST command.  However, for the basic behavior of having ghosted items not be
drawn in LDView, I shouldn't have to modify LDView.

--Travis