 CAD / 12319
Re: Ribbed hoses synth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 01:35:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:

Hey I know a spiffy little recursive algorithm that'd probably do
a nice job of that.  I used to use it in 2D to reduce the size of
vectorized scanned image files, but it should extend nicely to 3D.

You start with the end points of a curve.  Then you find the farthest
point on the curve from the straight line between the ends.  Split
the line at that point if the distance is greater than your angular
tolerance.  Recursively apply this to the two new segments.

The distance is just the cross product divided by the length of the
line segment between the end points (the area of a parallelegram
divided by the base).

If you want to get fancy, you can check for a negative dot product,
which tells you a split point is past one of the ends of the line
segment.  Then you can use the radial distance instead of the
perpendicular distance.

Thanks, but I have a simple iterative solution that works well.

Kevin