 CAD / 11067
Re: Automatic unofficial part detection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 00:43:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Miguel Agullo wrote:
Hi all,

Some visitors to my site have asked whether it'd be possible to include in the
ldraw model files that I provide the unofficial parts used in them. As this is a
very sensible request, I was wondering if there is any way to do this
automatically (i.e. an app that compares the parts used in a model with the
latest official library). If not, is anybody working on something along these
lines?

One obvious solution is to have a 100% official "parallel" ldraw setup which
would flag all unofficial parts when I load the model in it. However, this is
far from clean.

Instead, can we not ensure that every official part has a line "0 Official LDraw
part" or some such in the header? That way, it would be possible to just scan
for that header, and you'd know whether the part is official or not.

Only problem is all existing parts would need to have this added (I notice there
are some parts with only a description in the header...). Future parts could
have it added when an update is being prepared.

ROSCO