 CAD / 10922
Re: Newbie question on printing b/w and colour hints
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.inst
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:18:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Michael Shiels wrote:
   I was quickly grabbing a few LDR files of christmas related things for my kids to build next year, and was printing them on the only cheap printer we have which is a b/w laser, but of course the colours are impossible to decipher.

Is there anything that does colour hints (ie fly outs from the bricks with a letter for the colour or something??

OR is there something I am missing??

I am not aware of any current application that will do callouts with a letter for the color. I think you are the first person I read/see/hear that has brought this issue up. =0

This is an old issue.

All the building instruction books that Syngress has published are black and white. LPub supports this by indicating color in the part list images.

Does anyone have an application in the works that can do the above?

LPub.

LPub’s approach is a great one (and one that I use as well in the parts lists that I include in my instructions) but it doesn’t do what Ahui is asking, precisely, that is, it doesn’t provide “callouts with a letter for the color”.

Boy, that would be *very* hard to have happen automatically. Automatic placement of the color labels would be problematic at best.

It is *much* easier to put the color labels in the part list image. The label is some location relative to the bounding box of the individual part image.

I’m not convinced that’s necessarily a better approach than what LPub does, though.

It would be much more labor intensive.

   Michael, how are you printing the images of the instructions? From the output via MLCad? Perhaps you could save the files to a CD or disk and go to kinkos for color printouts. Might be a bit pricey but you can use the cheapest color prinout option they have. Or how about just leaving the files on the PC and having them view the instructions from there. Yes, I know not the best solution.

Larry P or Steve B. you boys have probably the most experience with printing out instructions. Your thoughts on the matter?

I have a bit of experience here as well.

Indeed you do!

... and arguably preparing instructions for publication in a book, where you have less control over the final format (book editors and publishers have been known to rescale things, change the grayscale shadings, etc) makes what you do even harder than preparing small run instructions where there is a lot of control over the final format by the instruction author.

Yes, but I was in a special situation, because Syngress really didn’t have a plan, just a concept. The president’s son thought they should do some books on LEGO. I had more input on the format than might be normal. Nonetheless there were certainly suprises as we closed on the first BI book.

Kevin