 CAD / 10416
10415  |  10417
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: Overlapping polygons etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 00:23:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ross Crawford wrote:
Thanks for your replies!

In lugnet.cad, Paul Easter wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Ross Crawford wrote:

snip...

2. Should primitives be used where they aren't exactly right, but close enough?
There's a couple of situations with this part:
a) cylinder (stud) meets horizontal plane, but plane doesnt intersect
completely, the 3-4edge primitive is very close to providing the correct
intersection line, but it's a tiny bit too big, should I use it or manually do
the intersection, which would mean some renderers which substitute the stud may
not render very well.

In this case I'd say inline the primitive and trim

Yes, I agree, or use the next smaller segment primitive 1-2edge.dat and rotate
it while also placing the other lines manually(or from inlining).

You mean inline the stud2a, then inline a cylinder under it and trim that?

I think I missed what you meant earlier.
I would not inline the stud for that, Unless it was a major piece of the part.
which this is not.

b) Open wall ends of 2-4cyli touch outside wall of part - some renderers may
show vertical lines on outside wall. However in this case, the cylinder butts up
against the bottom of a stud2a, so if I manually do the cylinder, renderers that
substitute the stud may look strange with the un-substituted cylinder below it.

Ok, I see it now. My laptop screen was not showing me enough detail.
See my example below. I used a 3-8cyli file instead.
As for the edge lines. Unless we are all perfectionists, which I usually am with
small parts, I would use the edge primitves as used below unless someone has a
big complaint about it.
If you make this part as a few small sub-parts. Then save a copy of that file,
fixing problems that are repetitive is done easily and inlined.

snip...
I think what he is talking about is "blocky" rendering like in POV where quads
meet a cylinder.
If this is the case, I would use a rotated 1-4cyli or two 1-4cyli and let them
overlap some into the wall.

Well yes and no - that sentence actually asked 2 different questions :) but both
will be solved if I inline the studs and trim the cylinders as Orion suggested
(I think).
I actually would not recommend that.

Thanks for your help guys! (Even if it means more work for me...)

ROSCO

Paul

Example below:

1 16 0 4 10 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 stud2a.dat
1 16 0 4 10 4.2426 0 4.2426 0 1 0 -4.2426 0 4.2426 3-4edge.dat
1 16 0 4 10 5.5433 0 -2.2961 0 12 0 -2.2961 0 -5.5433 3-8cyli.dat
1 16 0 16 10 5.5433 0 -2.2961 0 1 0 -2.2961 0 -5.5433 3-8edge.dat
1 16 0 4 10 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 4-4edge.dat
1 16 0 4 10 4.243 0 4.243 0 1 0 -4.243 0 4.243 3-4edge.dat
1 16 -10 10 6 5.5 0 0 0 0 6 0 1 0 rect.dat
0 reference info
1 1 10 10 6 5.5 0 0 0 0 6 0 1 0 rect.dat
4 1 18 4 13 18 4 6 -18 4 6 -18 4 13
4 1 14 4 18 14 4 13 -14 4 13 -14 4 18
4 1 16 16 6 16 16 -6 -16 16 -6 -16 16 6
4 1 14 4 18 14 0 18 -14 0 18 -14 4 18