 CAD / 10411
Re: Overlapping polygons etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:56:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ross Crawford wrote:
Hi all,

I'm currently working on http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30518

Firstly, if there's anyone else working on this please let me know, cos I'd
rather not ;)

But in case there isn't, I have a few questions:

1. Is there an "official" policy on overlapping & intersecting polygons? I have
(so far) included several in this part, as there are many cylinders
intersecting vertical planes etc, and avoiding the overlaps would take heaps
longer and produce *many* more polygons. I realise it may cause problems with
rendering the parts transparently, but is the extra work required to "do it
right" worth it in this case?

My feeling on the matter is that while overlapping is not wrong, it should be
avoided.  I know from personal experience how time comsuming this can be.

2. Should primitives be used where they aren't exactly right, but close enough?
There's a couple of situations with this part:
a) cylinder (stud) meets horizontal plane, but plane doesnt intersect
completely, the 3-4edge primitive is very close to providing the correct
intersection line, but it's a tiny bit too big, should I use it or manually do
the intersection, which would mean some renderers which substitute the stud may
not render very well.

In this case I'd say inline the primitive and trim

b) Open wall ends of 2-4cyli touch outside wall of part - some renderers may
show vertical lines on outside wall. However in this case, the cylinder butts up
against the bottom of a stud2a, so if I manually do the cylinder, renderers that
substitute the stud may look strange with the un-substituted cylinder below it.

The problem is that the inside wall and the outside wall are the same quad.  In
other words that wall is infinatly thin.  The proper way to model this would be
to figure out how thick the wall actually is a model accordingly

3. Approximations - The "slots" along the side of this part are slightly more
than 8LDU high and slightly more than 10LDU deep. However the 1x4 brick with
similar slots (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2653) approximates to these
sizes, I guess I should too?

This is fine as long as it is in line with other parts.

The part so far looks like its coming along fine.  Keep up the good work.

-Orion