 CAD / 10276
Re: easy pattern creator?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:27:49 GMT

I think for quick and dirty patterns, this is a fine approach. It works best
with patterns that are monochromatic, I think. For things like minifig torsos it
may not work as well as sitting down and figuring out the polygons would.

Plus, as Steve points out, it generates huge files, and they have the jaggies.

So, in my view, you should go ahead and use it for making stuff for yourself but
I'd rather not see parts like these in the library unless there were no
alternative. I would tend to vote "hold" on them when I find them, barring an
explanation.

Well, what can one say?

You convinced me. Both your ratio and my urge to sometime create an 'official'
brick. So, there I went, creating patterns by hand, byte by byte. Sure it was
fun, but also took lots of concentration and time. All I did 'till now are in
the 'parts' part of

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Stinky

For instance, the 'TRANSPORT' brick went from 92Kb to 10Kb and did
not loose any of it's charm. Better even, it became better in low-res
renderings.

But now I got two hold votes on it. One was because of the wrong
part numbering, something which has been kindly solved by Chris Dee.
(thanks!) The other one is from Steffen:

-Reviewer: Steffen
-Comments:
-I like your work. But since LDRAW idealizes real LEGO bricks,
-the pattern should be horizontally centered, I suggest.

Now, I think LDRAW versions of real bricks should be as real
as possible. I have two 'TRANSPORT' bricks and both have the
pattern slightly off-center. I've found pictures online of the
brick and ALL have the same position of the pattern. I don't
think in this case we should 'idealize' it by centering the
pattern.

I think there's two ways of thinking about our 'virtuality'.
One would be more practical, creating bricks that are easy
to handle and look somewhat like the real thing. The other
is to try and create pictures as realistic as we possibly can.
Just my thoughts...

My guess is that for now I've just about had it with the 'pattern business'
and will go on with 'da real thang', creating parts that were not
defined in LDRAW yet. This will be totaly new for me. On the PT I see alot
of activity with primitives and what have you, so I do have something to
dig into.

   Play well! (and no hard feelings btw)