 CAD / 10152
Re: easy pattern creator?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 11:16:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jan Folkersma wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek writes:
A more general answer is that there is a pattern creator, quad2dat...
although the author seems to have stopped working on it and it has some
annoying bugs, it's very useful.

I'll try and look into that one. For the moment I'm totaly
happy with Carsten Schmitz's "BMP2LDRAW32" which I found
yesterday on the LDDP homepage. This coverts images into
ldraw readable .dat files.

I think for quick and dirty patterns, this is a fine approach. It works best
with patterns that are monochromatic, I think. For things like minifig torsos it
may not work as well as sitting down and figuring out the polygons would.

Plus, as Steve points out, it generates huge files, and they have the jaggies.

So, in my view, you should go ahead and use it for making stuff for yourself but
I'd rather not see parts like these in the library unless there were no
alternative. I would tend to vote "hold" on them when I find them, barring an
explanation.