 CAD / 10137
Re: easy pattern creator?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 11:13:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek writes:
A more general answer is that there is a pattern creator, quad2dat...
although the author seems to have stopped working on it and it has some
annoying bugs, it's very useful.

I'll try and look into that one. For the moment I'm totaly
happy with Carsten Schmitz's "BMP2LDRAW32" which I found
yesterday on the LDDP homepage. This coverts images into
ldraw readable .dat files.

But in your specific situation you'd be starting over, so that's not a good
approach, since there already is a pattern that says what you want. I think
what you need to do is find the section of the dat file that has the pattern
and use that section, perhaps as a temporary subfile, in a brick 1x4...
Position it centered and you should be all set. You may then want to use an
inliner to undo the subfiling.

Carsten's neat little proggie has the "Span Option": copy paste
a quadrilateral line, so that the conversion will be done within
the limits you want. This works PERFECTLY!!

This is what I did:

I went to Peeron.com to find a good picture of the part:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3010px9

I captured the pattern and edited it into a 2 color bitmap.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Stinky/Parts/transport.bmp

I converted this .bmp into .dat with Carsten's tool and then
implemented this with LDDP into a 1x4 brick.

I asked Steve Bliss to add me to the parts creators elite.

Since it is prefered, if not mandatory, to be an actual
owner of the brick created, I went to EBAY.com (yes) and
started bidding on a 335 set for sale in of all places
Germany.

And here are the results of the Dutch jury:

        happy renderings,
                            Jan Folkersma