 Belville / 506
Re: New 2003 Belville Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.belville, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.year.2003
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 05:00:58 GMT

Pirate folks, read on, you'll see why...

Having finally had a chance a week or so ago to see these pictures...

Ken Dowd wrote:

In lugnet.belville, Greg Perry writes:
In all the gushing over the new 2003 set pictures, I hadn't noticed anyone
mention the new Belville sets.

It appears that Lego is building on the new Adventurers Oriental Expedition
theme and bringing that to Belville with sets that look like they are scenes
from "Arabian Nights".

I too notice the new Belville sets. There were 6 sets in what appeared to be
2 different themes.

Theme 1: The Orient (3 sets)
    5856 Princess with monkey
    5857 Princess/Queen's room
    5858 Oriental Palace

Theme 2: Garden Fairies (3 sets)
    5859 Garden Fairy
    5861 Fairy House
    5862 Fairy Garden in Bloom

Note that the set names are vaguely descriptive - I have no idea what the
actual set names will be.

An interesting note on the Fairy sets: The Fairies are made from regular
Belville figs - no sign of the awful Millimy piece from a couple years back.
Set 5861 has the Belville rowboat in pink and a new snail piece (that looks
like it stands about as tall as a regular minifig).
Set 5862 has a new? raised baseplate and the new snail.

The snail looks neat and I also like those toadstool 4x4 radar dishes.
The huge flowers are kinda cool looking also (using that old large
propeler/flower piece). Note that the snail shell is a 4x4 radar dish,
so we get those in two more cool patterns.

Unfortunately looks like 5858 may be using the new crummy palm tree.

I'm going to have to get at least 3 copies of 5861, two to make a pink
"Emergency Cutter"... (the other for town setups, I'll be doing seaside
setups often for train layouts and a variety of boat colors is nice - of
course it will wind up with the same sail as some of the other sailboats
since that sail looks a little lame for town use [but looks nice for the
theme they are presenting]).

Looks like they're going to continue to be the source for some nifty parts
in different colors - the big one being the onion dome part in dark pink.
Also, the Belville tower/window piece will be available in medium-orange.

It's hard to extract a lot of details from the pictures but here's a couple
of other things I noticed (or think I'm seeing):

- Food! In particular bananas.  Looks like they're in at least two of the
sets along with apples in a couple of different colors.  I can't tell what's
on the table in the new Oriental Palace set (5858).  Looks like a loaf of
bread in 5857 (yippee!).

Yup, there's a loaf of bread there. I also see the chef's hat muffins
that set and one of the other sets.

- It looks like the baseplate for the Palace set is a new design.  If not
it's definitely one I don't recognize and I'll be happy to add to my collection.

I think I like that new baseplate. It will make nice islands for the
Pirate Game. It looks like it may even have a little cave in it.

- Looks like the bird/parrot will be available in sand green (5856)

In addition to sand green, I also noticed what appeared to be the bird piece
in white and lt. blue (the same blue as the car in the new HP set).

In 5857? The white may be an owl. It's larger than the light blue, but I
agree, the light blue is a parrot. I also see red perfume bottles in
that set. Ooh, looking at the blow up of 5858, I see the sand green and
light blue parrots in that set also (in the small onion domed thing).

- Monkeys in two of the sets!

Hmm, I've got a monkey overpopulation problem...

- Dare I hope?  It looks like a pink window frame in the 5856 set (with
green shutters attached)

Yep, I think that's dark pink.

- A Lego hula-hoop? (5856) Is this a new element?

I believe the hoop is an older piece that appeared in one of the Belville
beach theme sets. If I remember which one, I'll post the set number.

I'm much more excited about these sets than I was over the Ice Castle ones
from this year.

Yup, I too like these sets better than the Ice Castle theme.

There was a lot I liked about the Ice Castle theme. On the other hand,
the 6x6 roof piece in trans pink will go nice with the pink castle I
need to get back to...

I also see light or medium blue 4x4 quarter round spindle fences, blue
or purple lamp posts, bunches of 5x7 leaf clusters (probably in bright
green - nice for color variation), white 1x8x2 rail fences. I see modest
quantities of dark pink, lime green, mint green, and orange (the
Belville/Harry Potter orange not the Haloween Bucket orange) bricks,
plates, arches, etc. I see a pink Fabuland sign (nice for a sign on a
town building). 5856 has a bunch of trans bricks, including a trans dark
pink or trans purple 2x2/1x4 hinge brick. A green ladder. Hmm, on second
look, the bricks at the top of the tower and trellis pieces are trans
dark pink (a 1x1 and a 1x3 - will that be the first 1x3 trans
brick????). 5857 has a cool looking awning fabric. I think that's a
yellow washtub in 5861.

Looking closely, I think that fountain in 5858 has a trans light blue
minifig head, and an orange or yellow ninja dolphin (aka fish). I see
bunches of the 3+ flowers in various colors (definitely with bits from
this theme I need to make some kind of enchanted garden). Oh, I also
like seeing that 1x4x2 part with three part rounded top (mint green on
the back of the boat in 5861 and a couple other places, purple in 5858)
in new colors. I see the icecream scoops pieces in 5859. There is either
a dark pink or I think actually a trans dark pink 6x12 tile with studs
on 3 side in 5858. If it really is trans dark pink, that will be so
cool.

Oooh, I think 5861 has the 16x16 quarter round baseplate in a green
color. That will be nice for improving upon the Fairy Castle baseplate
as Pirate Game island.

I would have to say that I think Belville is improving. It feels like
there is more and more building in the sets.

And just because I like commenting on the new stuff in one place...

The oriental adventures sets I see:

Elephants. A weird looking, but cool tiger. Great printed arch. The
onion domes of course. The amazon headpiece unprinted in orange or
yellow, grey rowboat (Lindsay will love these I think...), a new 2x2 map
tile, tan 1x4 spindle fence, red (or orange?) 4x4 quarter circle spindle
fence and 1x4 spindle fence (here's really hoping they're red), yetti,
turbans in white (yay!), red, and black, scimitar, cool printed 1x4x2 3
lobed piece (in 7411), white 6x6 hemisphere, cool oriental printed door
(possibly a secret door?) or panel, cool shields on4x4 radar dishes,
tibetan hats, muskets, possibly a greatsword in non-silver (tan? under
the tower in 7417), the alligator may be bright green.

In the new Star Wars I see:

Cool ballmount piece, A new angled cockpit (in 4482 - unfortunately in
anti-freeze), the Gomorean (orc), dark red minifig head in the robot in
4480, cool new beach babe (Leia), the new spindle gates, yellow palm
tree forks (in Anakin's mini pod racer), clear or trans smoke 1x1 tile
(in the mini Jedi Starfighter), trans smoke 1x2 plate (in the mini
Snowspeeder), clear 2x2 radar dish (in the mini tie fighter and the mini
pod racers), I want to say those are 2x3 wedge plates (not 2x4) in the
mini Snowspeeder. Oh, that may be an anti-freeze crystal ball in 4480
and maybe an anti-freeze minifig head.

I like that new Creator insects etc. set. The birds and fish set looks
somewhat interesting. The robots sets have a few nice parts as do the
other sets.

The racers sets are pretty ho-hum.

The basketball sets will be worth it for a few town minifigs, and
probably the stickers. I also see clear 1x6x5 or 1x2x5 columns which
might be nice for a sky scraper. 3431 has a bunch of black lattice
fences. And of course any town layout will have to have a basket ball
hoop in a playground or side street.

So it looks like the bulk of my money will be going into Belville and
Adventurers, with a bunch of copies of 4476 (and one or a few each of
the rest of the Starwars sets).

Frank