 Belville / 502
Re: New 2003 Belville Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.belville
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:43:56 GMT

In lugnet.belville, Greg Perry writes:
In all the gushing over the new 2003 set pictures, I hadn't noticed anyone
mention the new Belville sets.

It appears that Lego is building on the new Adventurers Oriental Expedition
theme and bringing that to Belville with sets that look like they are scenes
from "Arabian Nights".

I too notice the new Belville sets. There were 6 sets in what appeared to be
2 different themes.

Theme 1: The Orient (3 sets)
    5856 Princess with monkey
    5857 Princess/Queen's room
    5858 Oriental Palace

Theme 2: Garden Fairies (3 sets)
    5859 Garden Fairy
    5861 Fairy House
    5862 Fairy Garden in Bloom

Note that the set names are vaguely descriptive - I have no idea what the
actual set names will be.

An interesting note on the Fairy sets: The Fairies are made from regular
Belville figs - no sign of the awful Millimy piece from a couple years back.
Set 5861 has the Belville rowboat in pink and a new snail piece (that looks
like it stands about as tall as a regular minifig).
Set 5862 has a new? raised baseplate and the new snail.

Looks like they're going to continue to be the source for some nifty parts
in different colors - the big one being the onion dome part in dark pink.
Also, the Belville tower/window piece will be available in medium-orange.

It's hard to extract a lot of details from the pictures but here's a couple
of other things I noticed (or think I'm seeing):

- Food! In particular bananas.  Looks like they're in at least two of the
sets along with apples in a couple of different colors.  I can't tell what's
on the table in the new Oriental Palace set (5858).  Looks like a loaf of
bread in 5857 (yippee!).
- It looks like the baseplate for the Palace set is a new design.  If not
it's definitely one I don't recognize and I'll be happy to add to my collection.

- Looks like the bird/parrot will be available in sand green (5856)

In addition to sand green, I also noticed what appeared to be the bird piece
in white and lt. blue (the same blue as the car in the new HP set).

- Monkeys in two of the sets!
- Dare I hope?  It looks like a pink window frame in the 5856 set (with
green shutters attached)
- A Lego hula-hoop? (5856) Is this a new element?

I believe the hoop is an older piece that appeared in one of the Belville
beach theme sets. If I remember which one, I'll post the set number.

I'm much more excited about these sets than I was over the Ice Castle ones
from this year.

Yup, I too like these sets better than the Ice Castle theme.

Ken

< snipped links that no longer work>

Greg