 Belville / 501
500  |  502
Subject:
New 2003 Belville Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.belville
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:10:58 GMT

In all the gushing over the new 2003 set pictures, I hadn't noticed anyone
mention the new Belville sets.

It appears that Lego is building on the new Adventurers Oriental Expedition
theme and bringing that to Belville with sets that look like they are scenes
from "Arabian Nights".

Looks like they're going to continue to be the source for some nifty parts
in different colors - the big one being the onion dome part in dark pink.
Also, the Belville tower/window piece will be available in medium-orange.

It's hard to extract a lot of details from the pictures but here's a couple
of other things I noticed (or think I'm seeing):

- Food! In particular bananas.  Looks like they're in at least two of the
sets along with apples in a couple of different colors.  I can't tell what's
on the table in the new Oriental Palace set (5858).  Looks like a loaf of
bread in 5857 (yippee!).
- It looks like the baseplate for the Palace set is a new design.  If not
it's definitely one I don't recognize and I'll be happy to add to my collection.
- Looks like the bird/parrot will be available in sand green (5856)
- Monkeys in two of the sets!
- Dare I hope?  It looks like a pink window frame in the 5856 set (with
green shutters attached)
- A Lego hula-hoop? (5856) Is this a new element?

I'm much more excited about these sets than I was over the Ice Castle ones
from this year.  I just wish that there wasn't so much emphasis on the dark
pink color in these sets.  I really wish a lot of these pieces were in a
more subdued hue - oh well, one of these days I'm going to use all of those
dark pink parts I'm stockpiling for one hellaciously obnoxious MOC.

Here are the pictures in case you haven't seen them:

5856 & 5857
http://home.t-online.de/home/gierse-gmbh/bilder/news2003/belville2.jpg

5858 & 5859
http://home.t-online.de/home/gierse-gmbh/bilder/news2003/belville1.jpg