 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4128
4127  |  4129
Subject:
Remote Switch (was: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 16:34:13 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rick Clark wrote:

   There are a number of electrically operated switch designs, but I think mine is the smallest, since it uses a micro-motor. It has pros and cons which are detailed here:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=16648

I love Rick’s awesome spear switch idea. I kept running it through my head to see if I could make it any smaller. I came up with something this morning:

Full Gallery of my prototype

I only have technic motors, so I wanted a solution that I could swap out if I get something smaller. The belt/pulley system also allows the motor to keep running past the point needed to move the switch, which keeps it from either stalling the motor or tearing the switch apart.

The spear is held in place by a headlight brick, which is pushed along a tile by two 1/2 1x2 liftarms on an axle. The yellow liftarm indicates which direction the track is switched, and also allows for manual switching if necessary.

The housing is 3 x 4 x 2 1/3. The bushings and switch indicator each add a stud on either side. This could be made smaller by leaving off the indicator and only using a single bushing. It could probably be made even smaller by using a single 1/2 liftarm inside, with the bushing next to it, and the belt running out the back, but I haven’t tried that. Other sizing depends on what type of motor you use. With a little work, and some cleverly drilled holes, the motor could even be hidden beneath the table.

See Rick’s post above for cautions, and a description of how the switches work.

-Elroy