 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3317
  Excelsior Trolley

Since the TCLTC will only be able to bring half of their train layout to the ILTCO Philadelphia show this summer, we decided to turn our mainlines into ping-ponging trolley lines. Yeah, we already have a few trolleys we can run: (2 URLs) But that (...) (18 years ago, 13-Apr-06, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build.schleim, FTX) !

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

--SNIP-- (...) Hi John, Very neat little trolley design. I really like your use of the new racer hubs (or whatever they're called) in the faked bogies. You need to fiddle your lighting for these shots though, all that lovely dark red (I am so (...) (18 years ago, 13-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

(...) Which brings me to a question I've had for awhile, what is required to turn a line into a ping pong line? (18 years ago, 14-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

(...) The lower portion of the trolley is red, I think, and only the roof portion is dark red. A lot of the parts on the trucks and the fence piece are not yet available in dark red. John: Great looking trolley! Love the extended looking truck (...) (18 years ago, 14-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

(...) A few RCXs and Ross's programming... <grin> JohnG, GMLTC (18 years ago, 14-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

(...) Are you detecting the trolleys at the end of the line for reversal? If so, how (mechanically, optically, magneticly, other...). And you don't need RCX's... you could do it with mechanically triggered polarity switches, for instance. (18 years ago, 14-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

(...) You are exactly correct, Jonathan, but that was intentional! Check out this pic closely: (URL) I think it is obvious that the gate and truck color is bright red and the roof is a darker shade of red. That is one of the striking features that (...) (18 years ago, 14-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

(...) Ah, yes! I see. I was focused on your creations rather than the pix of the actual . . . (...) I am very eager to find out what they are. :o) I am going to think about what you might have redone . . . Jonathan (18 years ago, 14-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

(...) (to J-1): He did it with one but I'm not exactly sure how, because, as you've intimated, Ross is the brains in the TCLTC, and I am the bankroll;-) (...) Ross has created a ping-pong loop for our subway modules. (URL) HERE> is a pic of one of (...) (18 years ago, 14-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

(...) Check your email for a spyshot:-D JOHN (18 years ago, 14-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

(...) Thanks, Tim! (...) I'll see what I can do. I'll need to reshoot it after appying decals anyway. And no need to be jealous of my dark red curves-- they come compliments of (URL) The LEGO Lady> on Bricklink;-) (She even shipped them to Florida (...) (18 years ago, 14-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

(...) Thanks! That was my first guess! Looking forward to more. Jonathan (18 years ago, 14-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

(...) My ping-pong line (for my (URL) W tram>, sorry no pics yet) has a dual line with matching points at each end set to normal (straight). As the tram nears the end of the run, the S curve of the point slows it down without me needing to program a (...) (18 years ago, 14-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Excelsior Trolley

I've done something similar, "pin-pong" or shuttle, using a model railroad circuit. This uses LDR's to detect the train, ambient light works but people leaning over the sensor can cause problems. This has been successfully used at a couple of UK (...) (18 years ago, 15-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)