 Trains / 27273
Re: Excelsior Trolley
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2006 20:40:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Brian Davis wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:

   what is required to turn a line into a ping pong line?

A few RCXs and Ross’s programming... <grin>

(to J-1): He did it with one but I’m not exactly sure how, because, as you’ve intimated, Ross is the brains in the TCLTC, and I am the bankroll;-)

Are you detecting the trolleys at the end of the line for reversal? If so, how (mechanically, optically, magneticly, other...).

Ross has created a ping-pong loop for our subway modules. HERE is a pic of one of the terminals and the RCX brick controlling it. Of the 3 inputs, 2 go the touch sensors at the ends of the lines, and the third regulates the speed of the trolley (to account for the hard 180 turn) in addition to the reverse in polarity.

   And you don’t need RCX’s... you could do it with mechanically triggered polarity switches, for instance.

Interesting. But as I noted above, speed is an issue if you have curves. If you want your trolley to move along at a nice, slow speed, it will be unable to make it through a sustained curve, so you need to give it a little goose. Ross did that based upon trial and error using timed voltage increases.

But for the upcoming show this summer, Ross has actually been exploring alternate methods such as what you are suggesting. We’ll have to wait and see up with what he comes;-)

My ping-pong line (for my W tram, sorry no pics yet) has a dual line with matching points at each end set to normal (straight). As the tram nears the end of the run, the S curve of the point slows it down without me needing to program a speed reduction, so it hits the touch sensor (also spring loaded) at a much lower speed. Unfortunately, that technique may not work so well with 2 axle trolleys, as curves don’t seem to slow them down as much.

ROSCO