 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 122
    Helms Deep —Jon Furman
   Hey all, here is another of my interpretations of a classic Tolkien location. There are photos of the structure itself, and a small recreation of the Hornburg Battle. As with most Epic Literary Interpretations, scale has been sacrificed for detail (...) (22 years ago, 12-Mar-02, to lugnet.announce.moc) !!

        Re: Helms Deep —Jason Spears
     (...) WOW! Very cool. I think you captured that "otherworldly feel" quite well. I really like the slanted stairs. Playing BrikWars on this setup could be a ton of fun. About the battle: Very neat. There is a sense of urgency about it. Like the evil (...) (22 years ago, 12-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Helms Deep —Jon Furman
     Thanks a bunch for the compliments, I've never played brickwars before (it sounds interesting), so I'll take your word for it being a good place (as an added bonus) The Head is from the troll that comes with the harry potter set.thanks again. Jon (...) (22 years ago, 12-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Helms Deep —Richard Noeckel
      I must say, the overall lighting in all of your pictures is absolutely spectacular! They all seem to have such a warm glow and present such realism. My photos on the other-hand appear white-washed and pale. (Even when I remove all the florescent (...) (22 years ago, 12-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Helms Deep —Jon Furman
      Thanks Richard! I appreciate your compliments. The only thing I do for pictures lighting wise is try to flood the area with a 100 watt incandescent (...) (22 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Helms Deep —Magnus Lauglo
     Man, awesome! Beautiful! Is there any interior to speak of? Your LotR MOCs are so great, they make me want to try to read the books again (I've tried twice and never got past the council of Elrond). The battle scene looks terrific! Magnus (22 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Helms Deep —Jon Furman
     Thank you Magnus, The interiors are unfurnished because I couldn't really do anything really creative with such small rooms. I generally furnish, but in this case I didn't. I appreciate your feedback, thanks! Jon PS Just start reading after the (...) (22 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Helms Deep —George Haberberger
     (...) Thanks, George (22 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Helms Deep —Jon Furman
     Thak you George, it's always nice to recieve positive feedback! Jon (...) (22 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Helms Deep —Bruce Schlickbernd
     (...) though no specific illustration springs to mind. I recall a sally port somewhere off to the side of the Horburg's main gate near the cliff wall that Eomer and Aragorn used to blindside the ram pounding in the gate. Anyway, a great depiction of (...) (22 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Helms Deep —Jon Furman
     Thank you Bruce. I did check out the Brothers Hildebrandt and Lee and Howe's illustration when I was trying to come up with my design! I really loved Hildebrandts scene, but I think Lee's structure is more Hardy, do I leaned that way when It came (...) (22 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Helms Deep —Aaron Dalan
      (...) As I recall, sally port you are referring to was a small door in the wall that opened up facing into a small crease between the wall and the mountain behind, at an angle where it would be impossible for attackers to get a direct run at the (...) (22 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

          Re: Helms Deep —Jon Furman
      you know I thought I had a lot of Burps, until I tried to build Helms Deep! I'm completely out of them, so Maybe I'll put a backdrop up! I wanted it to be nighttime in the photos, I'm looking on ways of photoshopping them! Thanks Aaron. Jon My only (...) (22 years ago, 14-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Helms Deep —Bruce Schlickbernd
     (...) Half a dozen Alan Lee books, but none with any depiction of Helm's Deep. Sigh. But then again, it becomes an excuse to expand my collection. :-) Generally, I like Lee's structures: they have a greater air of reality to them, and his limited (...) (22 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Helms Deep —Jon Furman
     Totally agree with you on this one.... I think that I'll put up a shot of Gimli Blocking up that Culvert! Hildebrandts more "Fairy Tale" Style does lend a lot of Whimsy that I appreciate. Jon (...) (22 years ago, 14-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Helms Deep —Bruce Schlickbernd
   I just had to go back and look at this again after seeing the film, The Two Towers. Wonderful work, Jon. My son leaned over to me during the film and said how much it looked like the one I showed him on the internet! Hey, if an 11 year old can tie (...) (22 years ago, 19-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Helms Deep —Erik Olson
   Like Bruce's son, I thought the movie did a good job of adapting Jon's Lego models to the screen. The movie's Meduseld was closer than their Helm's Deep and is still my favorite. It's a good lookin' wooden hall either way. for reference... (URL) (22 years ago, 24-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle)