 Castle / 12583
Re: Helms Deep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 23:43:47 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jon Furman writes:
Thank you Bruce.  I did check out the Brothers Hildebrandt and Lee and
Howe's illustration when I was trying to come up with my design!  I really
loved Hildebrandts scene, but I think Lee's structure is more Hardy, do I
leaned that way when It came time for construction.  That sally port was a
little confusing, I dodn't know where it led to and where it would come out,
I think behind the tower,= maybe, so I left it out!  Thanks again, Jon

Half a dozen Alan Lee books, but none with any depiction of Helm's Deep.  Sigh.

But then again, it becomes an excuse to expand my collection.  :-)

Generally, I like Lee's structures: they have a greater air of reality to
them, and his limited earth-tone palette works well in that environment.
Makes me want to get out the Winsor & Newton and paint away!

What makes your Helm's Deep wonderful is that it is so easily recognizable
to anyone familiar with Tolkien.  There's the Hornburg, with the ramp to the
gate, hard against the stone outcropping, with the Deeping Wall blocking the
valley and it's poorly defended culvert.  Ah, if only a dwarf such as Gimli
had a hand in the design!

Bruce