 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1155
  Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine

After reasonable feedback about the complexity of my first reversible pneumatic engine, I realized there was a very simple mechanical solution that would give reversability *and* variable speed. (URL) difference between going forward vs. backwards (...) (21 years ago, 4-Jun-03, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build) !!

  Re: Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine

(...) Hi Kevin, Wow!!! You have quite a talent! Now, why is it that I have to read all your postings 3 or 4 times? If I understand right, you are able to continually adjust the timing in each direction up to 45 degrees? Other valve gears that are (...) (21 years ago, 4-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine

(...) Hi Paul, Sorry about the posts not making sense. The differential lets me make continuous timing adjustment through 360 degrees. The two pistons are offset by 90 degrees, as are the switches. The differential lets you set the angle between the (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine

(...) Wow, that's a great design for a reversible and variable speed pneumatic engine. An ingenious use of the differential gear, too. And not to fret about correctness of the explanation. If it works, it must be correct ;-) (21 years ago, 5-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine

(...) Wow! I saw your first reversible engine and I kind of got lost in all of the tubing. Needless to say, it was quite an accomplishment. Its amazing how far you have been able to take the analogy between pneumatics and electronics. But, I kept (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine

(...) pneumatic (...) give (...) Kevin, Awesome! I love to see a differential being used in new and interesting ways. -- Eric (21 years ago, 5-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine

(...) Thanks. (...) Correct. (...) Right ;^) (...) Yes, you can reverse the engine on the fly. It doesn't take much to make the engine not run. It takes a quarter turn of the case to get from ideal forward to ideal backward. (...) Kevin (21 years ago, 5-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine

<snip> (...) You don't get very good speed control. I'd think that using the small range between completely off and completely on for one of the ports of a switch would be a better speed control. In the parially on state, you'd get constricted flow. (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine

(...) You have no need to apoligize. Your way of understanding is completely valid and brings to light many new ideas way outside the scope of my thinking and that of many others, I'm sure. I believe I do understand your explaination. So, it makes (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine

Here are two pictures, the left image shows the engine running forward. The right image shows it running backwards. You can see that the differential case is turned about 90 degrees between the two images. (URL) still haven't worked on building (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine

(...) works, but now I get it. For anyone else who's lost, here's how I understand it: The casing of the differential is held still by the gear in the clear box. This means that the input shaft from the pistons comes in, turns the inner differential (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine

(...) Hi Jason, I'm glad you like the engine. I'm not really into engines. I was just trying to satisfy Paul Kreig's desire to have a reversible engine, and it struck me that a differential was an easy mechanical way to do it. I love differentials. (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)