 Technic / 10561
Re: Variable Speed, reversible pneumatic engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:25:28 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Rob Stehlik wrote:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
After reasonable feedback about the complexity of my first reversible pneumatic
engine, I realized there was a very simple mechanical solution that would give
reversability *and* variable speed.

Wow! I saw your first reversible engine and I kind of got lost in all of the
tubing. Needless to say, it was quite an accomplishment. Its amazing how far you
have been able to take the analogy between pneumatics and electronics. But, I
kept thinking that a mechanical reversing mechanism would be simpler. Your
differential solution is very slick.

Thanks.

Let me see if I understand everything correctly... By adjusting the position of
the differential case, the phase between the valves and the cylinders changes.
But the phase between the two valves relative to each other remains constant. Is
that right?

Correct.

One thing I'm not sure I understand is how this setup allows the speed of the
engine to be adjusted. Is it because as the timing is changed from one 'ideal'
position to the other, the engine runs rougher when the timing is off? I suppose
this would slow it down, but its not exactly an ideal method of speed control :)

Right ;^)

I am also dying to know if you can reverse the engine 'on the fly' Meaning that
the engine is connected to a compressor and it is first run forwards. Then the
timing is slowly adjusted until the engine stops momentarily and then begins
running in reverse. That would look really neat. I just may have to build one of
these..

Yes, you can reverse the engine on the fly.  It doesn't take much to make the
engine not run.  It takes a quarter turn of the case to get from ideal forward
to ideal backward.

Rob

Kevin