 Announcements / 639
    Organizational business for ldraw.org as pertains to future activities —Tim Courtney
   Hello! I believe there are some group issues to attend to before ldraw.org starts selling CDs. I got to talk to a lot of people this weekend and received valuable input towards the direction of this now nebulous group and what needs to take place in (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jun-00, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.datfest, lugnet.org.us) !!

        Re: Organizational business for ldraw.org as pertains to future activities —Tim Courtney
     (...) Also, I'm most likely going to set up a Paypal account tonight. I'll let everyone know what it is, I'm sure that would be easier. -Tim (24 years ago, 12-Jun-00, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: Organizational business for ldraw.org as pertains to future activities —Steve Bliss
     (...) First issue: What is ldraw.org? We need a clear definition of what the 'group' is, why it exists, and what it does. Steve (24 years ago, 13-Jun-00, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

         Re: Organizational business for ldraw.org as pertains to future activities —Tim Courtney
     (...) Here are my thoughts: The ldraw.org group's purpose is to further the advancement of James Jessiman's .dat file format and LDraw suite, introducing to new users and aiding them in a fuller understanding of the program, therefore enhancing the (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jun-00, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.org)

        Re: Organizational business for ldraw.org as pertains to future activities —Shiri Dori
   (...) <snip> OK, Tim and I talked during + after the fest and I offered to help research the issue a bit. A quick look through the types of exempt organizations [1] narrows the search down to Charitable Organizations. I looked into "Social Clubs" (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jun-00, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw) !

        Re: Organizational business for ldraw.org as pertains to future activities —Tim Courtney
   (...) In a sense, I would say it is. (...) Debatable. It would be wise to talk to a financial person about these issues. Someone in Lugnet, or I have a friend who used to do financial stuff who said there's someone I can be referred to. I can try to (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jun-00, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw) !

        Re: Organizational business for ldraw.org as pertains to future activities —Shiri Dori
     (...) All right, that's a start. (...) Yes, professional advice would certainly be a good idea. (...) <description snipped> IMHO, filing for tax exemption would be a good idea, even if it means putting the CDs on hold for a while (not to mention it (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: Organizational business for ldraw.org as pertains to future activities —Richard W. Schamus
     (...) <snip> (...) <snip> (...) I personally think that you should try to get it tax exempted. Considering that it is already used by thousands of people world wide, as freeware, whos creator has passed on but opened up the initial code for parts (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jun-00, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

         Re: Organizational business for ldraw.org as pertains to future activities —Tim Courtney
     (...) I'd agree with you on this. I think its worthwile to pursue tax exemption. At the same time, I'm going to try to have the CDs done by Kidvention (the master, that is) to have it available to install on our demonstration machine there. I'll do (...) (24 years ago, 16-Jun-00, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: Organizational business for ldraw.org as pertains to future activities —Tom McDonald
   (...) say (...) Definitely a good idea. Also, if you can, try getting a second pro bono opinion. Remember, lawyers do work in teams and consult each other regularly for finer points and other considerations and legal precedents (can you say (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jun-00, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: Organizational business for ldraw.org as pertains to future activities —Tim Courtney
   (...) That's how I'd like to see the site/group. (...) The way we're going to market it, no. After CDs are sold, we could be dealing with about $8000 if figured for 1000 CDs, $2/pc cost, sold for $10 US. This would be more than enough money to put (...) (24 years ago, 16-Jun-00, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)