Re: Organizational business for ldraw.org as pertains to future activities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.org
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 19:41:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:

Hello!

I believe there are some group issues to attend to before ldraw.org
starts selling CDs.  I got to talk to a lot of people this weekend and
received valuable input towards the direction of this now nebulous
group and what needs to take place in the future.

First issue: What is ldraw.org?  We need a clear definition of what the
'group' is, why it exists, and what it does.

Here are my thoughts:

The ldraw.org group's purpose is to further the advancement of James
Jessiman's .dat file format and LDraw suite, introducing to new users and
aiding them in a fuller understanding of the program, therefore enhancing the
AFOL community as a whole and facilitating people with the ability to share
their creations with each other easily.

That could be a first draft for a mission statement or something.

What it is...it could be defined as a group of enthusiasts who are dedicated
to the advancement of... and managing a central resource of... for the purpose
of advancing the community and the user base.  So 'ldraw.org' by definition
could be the people who are dedicated to working on stuff that is directly
related to the site (on a regular basis).  Eg, you (Steve), myself, Jacob, and
possibly Terry.

Also, in looking to incorporate the group (necessary for tax exempt status),
we need a heirarchy (I'll get more detailed in response to Shiri's post).
Also, there needs to be an independent advisory board with access to the
finances for that.  So we need to select some people for different roles.

I'd be willing to head up the planning and such in the organization, with a
couple people to help do stuff.  The board could be (I think minimum of 3)
people who do not work on the project iself.  Something to think about.
Again, following with more detail in the other reply.

-Tim