 Animation / 87
Re: LEGO in the New York Times!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 02:09:09 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Ed Mayhall writes:
I thought posters could delete their own messages.  I do not see that
option.

Not via the web -- (not yet) -- maybe someday.

I can cancel an article upon your specific request -- send me an email if
this is what you wish -- note the group and article number.

I did give credit to nytimes.com and the author. If that is still not ok
then how do I whack the post so no one gets mad?

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that the text is copyrighted and owned by the
NYT and cannot be republished elsewhere without the NYT's permission.  The
NYT does grant permission to post an NYT article "in a non-commercial
newsgroup environment for the purpose of discussion permitted if it is not
possible or practical to link to the article on [their] website."

Thus, since it is both possible and practical to link to the article on their
website (as was done), it's not allowed to post a verbatim copy of the text
here.  Again, I am not a lawyer, but that's how I read it -- it seems 100%
clear to me that they don't want copies posted to places like this.

Note that they even don't want you to email copies of the text -- just the
URL.  (However, they do provide an "email this article" feature on their
website.)

http://www.nytimes.com/info/help/permiss.html

--Todd