 Animation / 84
Re: LEGO in the New York Times!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:52:11 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Jonathan Mizner writes:
Can you please "copy & paste" it onto a reply?  The registration has a few
details that I am unable to agree with, and I do not want to register
(possible fees may be incurred at any time to your account, notice posted to
the Help section beforehand).  For the sake of everyone else's time, please
post the message for us.  Thanks!

Just give them some bogus info and read any news story you want. :)

Here is the one you were asking to see.
---------------------------------------
from www.nytimes.com

A New Kit From Lego for Auteurs of Bricks

It was not until the recent holiday shopping season that Lego Systems Inc.
rolled out the Lego & Steven Spielberg MovieMaker Set, a $180 kit meant to turn
children into makers of short digital films featuring Lego characters and
props. But online, where Lego fandom rages, such films are nothing new.

"Brick films," as they are sometimes called in reference to the term Lego uses
for its construction pieces, have been available on the Web for several years,
according to Todd Lehman, co-founder of Lugnet.com, the online Lego users
group.

The films, which so far have generally been made by adults for adults, tend to
be stop-motion animations that range in length from a few seconds of jerky,
silent action to movies of 10 minutes or more with complex scenes and
soundtracks. Many take their inspiration from Lego's theme construction sets,
like the vastly popular Star Wars series. Others mimic or parody big-budget
films, as with "2001: A Lego Odyssey" and "Titanic Legos at Sea."

A new Web site (at http://brickfilms .topcities.com) offers a growing directory
of these online films. The site's founder, a computer consultant named Jason
Rowoldt, said the arrival of inexpensive digital cameras in the last year had
helped spur the brick-film boomlet.

Mr. Rowoldt predicted that Lego's MovieMaker kit, which includes a digital
camera and editing software, would expand the genre. But he criticized the
kit's dearth of special effects. "This is a kids' product, and I like the
camera," he said. "But a lot of adults are buying it, too, and they're finding
it's too limited in what it can do."

A spokeswoman for Lego Systems, Shannon Hartnett, said the company was still
trying to determine how many buyers of the kit were adults.

Lego Systems is having a contest to reward the best films made with MovieMaker
by people 18 and under (www.lego.com/studios). The company plans a Web-based
Lego film festival with an adult category for later this year.

Mr. Rowoldt said he welcomed the idea of a company-sponsored film festival. "It
is hard to handle serious subject matter in a brick film; you're dealing with
little smiling plastic figures," he said. "But people have done some amazing
things on adult themes."

He points to an eight-minute film called "Rick & Steve: The Happiest Gay Couple
in All The World," a satire of gay life in the suburbs that was selected by
more than 80 film festivals last year, including Sundance.

"Rick & Steve," directed by Q. Allan Brocka, contains simulated sex scenes
(using Lego figures). Some other brick films depict risqué situations.

But Ms. Hartnett said Lego was meant for all ages. "You can do whatever you
want with Lego bricks," she said.

PAMELA LiCALZI O'CONNELL